SWEGS Kitchen is built on the philosophy that healthy eating shouldn’t be hard. Their prepared ready-to-eat meals make it easy for people to dine healthfully, even if they’re pressed for time. SWEGS is an Eat Fit NOLA partner; with meals centered on lean proteins, whole grains, heart-smart fats, and are low in sodium and added sugar.
SWEGS Kitchen will be featured at this 2016 American Heart Association’s 2016 Heart & Soul Gala at Generations Hall. Saturday June 4, 7pm-11pm. More details, below.
BBQ Shrimp & “Grits”
Makes approximately 6 five-ounce servings
- 2 ounces Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
- 2 ounces garlic
- 2 pounds large shrimp
- 1/4 ounce no salt seasoning blend
- 1/4 ounce ground black pepper
- 1 ounce brown rice flour
- 1/8 ounce paprika
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice
- 1-1/2 ounces Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 ounce Tabasco hot sauce
- 1/3 ounce rosemary
- 1 ounce parsley
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
Place Earth Balance into a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic to the sauté pan and simmer for 4 minutes. Add shrimp, SWEGS no salt house seasoning, black pepper, brown rice flour, and paprika.
Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes or until the shrimp is thoroughly cooked. Add water, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and hot sauce to the pan. Bring to a simmer.
Add rosemary and parsley. Remove from heat, and whisk in unsalted butter. Serve 5 ounces BBQ shrimp over 1/2 cup cauliflower grits.
Makes approximately 24 four-ounce servings
- 6 pounds cauliflower
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 ounce garlic
- 5 ounces red onion
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 ounce sea salt
- 3-1/2 ounces brown rice flour
Place cauliflower into a pot with a steamer basket, and cook until soft; approximately 10 minutes. Place extra virgin olive oil into a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and red onion.
Sauté for 4 minutes. Mash the cooked cauliflower with a potato masher, then add to the pot. Add white pepper, sea salt, and brown rice flour; thoroughly incorporate all ingredients.
Per serving of BBQ Shrimp + Grits: 410 calories, 21 grams fat, 7 grams saturated fat, 430 mg sodium, 20 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 3 grams sugar, 35 grams protein
Click here for a handy printable PDF of the recipes.
New Orleans Heart & Soul Gala | Saturday June 4, 7pm-11pm | Generations Hall
- 2016 Heart & Soul Gala chaired by Mike Maenza, owner of MMi Culinary & SWEGS Kitchen
- Live and silent auctions + live music + gourmet cuisine provided by MMi Culinary, 12 Seasons Catering, SWEGS Kitchen, Mr. Mudbug
- Tickets are $250 | call 504.830.2300 or visit www.NewOrleansHeartBall.heart.org
- Funds raised at the Heart & Soul Gala will help the American Heart Association continue the fight against cardiovascular diseases and heart defects – the #1 killer in Louisiana & in the US.
- 100% of funds raised through the Heart & Soul Gala is invested back into the New Orleans community through educational outreach programs, CPR training and certification, placement of automated external defibrillators, and funding for medical research.
- This year alone, the AHA invested over $2 million into research in New Orleans at LSU Health Sciences Center and Tulane University
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD