The following is a news release from the U. S. Postal Service regarding April 15th tax return collection.
NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - With the 2015 tax filing deadline fast approaching, New Orleans postal employees are reminding last-minute tax filers to mail early in the day at their local post offices. This year, the curbside collection of tax returns is not available at the main post office on Loyola. However, mailboxes will be monitored and emptied as needed. In the past, this service allowed last-minute tax filers to drop-off their tax returns with postal employees at designated collection points, by midnight on April 15. Even though there are, no curbside collections, tax returns deposited at the Loyola site by midnight will still receive the April 15 postmark.
- If filing on April 15, mail early in the day at any Post Office. Be sure to verify Post Office hours of operation.
- If depositing returns in a collection box on April 15, double-check the pick-up schedule on the collection box. To ensure getting the April 15 postmark, deposit returns before the last scheduled pick-up time.
- Affix the correct postage. Some returns include many forms and require additional postage. One ounce is 49 cents. The second ounce is an additional 21 cents. IRS will not pay postage due and will return items to sender.
- In addition to the Post Office retail counter, postage may be purchased at a Self- Service Kiosk (SSK) in many lobbies. For locations, visit usps.com. Alternate access locations to buy stamps i.e. grocery stores, also are listed at usps.com.
- Remember that due to heightened security, the customer must take mail that bears only postage stamps and weighs more than 13 ounces to a Post Office retail counter.
- Be sure to include a return address on your envelope. Verify the IRS address where your return should be mailed.
- Certificate of Mailing – This receipt shows evidence you mailed your tax return.
- Certified Mail – This receipt proves you mailed your tax and provides online access to verify the date and time of delivery.
- Return Receipt – This receipt verifies both mailing and delivery, returning a postcard to you signed by the person who received your package.
- Click-N-Ship – From any computer with internet access and a printer, you can print Priority Mail and Express Mail labels for all your tax returns, with or without postage.