Slidell Officer Saves Puppy From Hot Car: Owner Arrested

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Slidell Police officer is being hailed a hero for rescuing a puppy trapped inside an overheated vehicle.

It happened over the weekend when police say the owner was on a shopping spree.

WGNO News Reporter Darian Trotter spoke to the officer who saved the dog’s life.

“It was important for me to get the dog out of there alive,” officer Delvan Melancon said.

Officer Delvan Melancon was on patrol when he was dispatched to the parking lot of the North Shore Square Mall.

That’s where he located a vehicle with a puppy that had been left unattended in the searing summer heat.

“The windows were cracked so I could hear the dog whimpering underneath the seat.”

Slidell Police Chief Randy Smith says it was a passerby who saw the dog near death and made the distress call.

The pit bull puppy could be heard yelling from across the parking lot.

“And there’s no doubt, we know that that dog would have been dead if we weren’t notified to do something about it,” Chief Smith said.

A second officer working with Melancon managed to slide his arm through the slightly cracked window.

“He reached through and popped the door open and then at that point I reached under the seat and pulled the dog out,” Melancon recounted.

The dog was visibly dehydrated, lethargic, and in need of medical attention.

Chief Smith says it took 23-year old Lajessica McKenzie, and 20-yaer old Carleisha Shelly an additional 30-minutes to finish their shopping spree and returned to the vehicle.

“At first of course she was shocked to see us out by her car and then when we asked her about the dog in her vehicle, she was kind of nonchalant about it. Well I didn’t think I was going to be in the mall for that long,” Melancon said.

The dog was taken to Slidell Animal Control Shelter and is reportedly in much better shape.

“We’ve talked to Slidell Animal Control. They came and retrieved the dog from us, got it some medical attention and the dog is going to survive and be okay,” Chief Smith said.

“I’m glad to hear it’s going to be alright. If it’s still at the pound I’ll go pick it up myself,” Melancon said.

It will be up to the judge to decide if the owners will get the dog back.

Both suspects have been charged with Simple Cruelty to Animals.