Woman’s Body Recovered From Slidell Canal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

It was a painful end to the search for a missing mother on the North Shore.

Monday authorities recovered a car from the canal near Lakeshore Estates.

Family members identified the remains of the driver as Crystal Friedman.

WGNO News Reporter Darian Trotter talked with the family and investigators about the apparent accident led to her death.

“This is not the outcome we’d hoped for and prayed for with the family,” said St. Tammany Sheriff Jack Strain.

Monday crews with St. Tammany Parish recovered the 2011 Hyundai Sonata they’d been looking for.

It was submerged in 6 to 8 feet of water, in the canal running through Lakeshore Estates, in unincorporated Slidell.

A fisherman made the discover around noon.

“There was I believe a tip that came in that they saw a vehicle in the water,” Chief Deputy Brain Trainor said. “We utilized our marine division and our sonar verified it was a vehicle.”

Inside was the body family members later identified as Crystal Friedman.

The 28-year old had been missing for a week Sunday.

“Disbelief, shock, pain for my family,” victim’s sister Patty Staggs said.

Friedman was last seen with friends at Natal’s Lounge on Highway eleven.

She was apparently on her way home after the Saints football game, when she run into trouble on West End Boulevard.

“She was on this road apparently traveling at a pretty fast pace and entered the water and was unable apparently to get out or was knocked unconscious,” Strain said.

“There’s no reason for her to drive in that direction, there’s nothing at the end of the road, there’s no reason for her to go that way,” the victim’s brother-in-law said.

Family members had been holding out hope since the mysterious disappearance.

With help from dozens of volunteers, they canvassed the area in a search and passed out hundreds of flyers.

They’ve been careful to shield their worst fears from Crystal’s 3-year old son.

“We haven’t told him anything yet,” Carr said. “We told him his mother has been at work the whole time. But we haven’t told him anything since we found out today.”

Investigators at the scene did not suspect foul play.

An investigation into what led to the crash continues.

“We just hope that whatever caused this she wasn’t suffering and she wasn’t in pain,” Staggs said.

The family hopes to get more answers from the coroner’s reported, expected by week’s end.

Funeral arraignments are still pending.