New Orleans Passengers React To Houston Airport Shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

khou-airport-shooting_4774It was a chaotic scene Thursday Afternoon at Houston’s Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Police say a man entered a crowded terminal and fired shots at the ceiling, before turning the gun on himself.

Shock waves were felt in New Orleans’ Armstrong International Airport.

“It’s appalling, it’s absolutely appalling,” passenger Shannon Parker said. “I’m thoroughly convinced the world has gone crazy.”

Shock and awe from air travelers hundreds of miles away from this afternoon’s shooting at Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston.

It was around 1:30 when police say a man walked through the doors of terminal B and reportedly raised a military-style semiautomatic rifle, firing two shots into the ceiling.

Other shots fired sent passengers in the crowded airport scrambling to escape harm’s way.

“Very crowded, and Bush is a huge airport; lots of people in it,” Parker said.

The melee happened near the ticket counter and security check points.

Investigators say a Homeland Security Agent ordered everyone down and fired once at the suspect who appeared to try and shoot himself at the same time.

After the gunfire the suspect had been shot and killed.

We caught up with passengers at Armstrong International in New Orleans, on their way to Houston in the aftermath.

Scott Ward wondered what kind of impact the shooting would have on airport security.

“It’s probably going to cause a bit more problems in the future for travel,” Ward said. “They might now start clearing you before you walk in the terminals or something like that.”

“More delays, more delays,” passenger Leah Faber said.

Faber was also on her way to Houston. She understood why some inbound flights were delayed nationwide.

Parts of the troubled terminal were on lock down.

No one in; no one out.

“It’s a dangerous situation,” Faber said. “Especially in times like these you just want to make sure nothing else crazy is going to happen.” “So it’s a good thing they at least delayed it, getting people there eventually.” “That’s all that matters; getting them there safely.”

Investigators say as many as five shots were fired.

No innocent bystanders were hurt.

An autopsy is expected to determine whose bullet killed the man who had not been identified late Thursday night.