Carbon Monoxide Concerns Accompany Cold Weather

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


With this week’s cold weather, many people may be firing up their heaters for the first time this season.  Atmos Energy is warning people to take precautions to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that comes from heaters, dryers, gas ovens, fireplaces, and car engines.  Extended exposure to the gas can be deadly.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often flu-like and can include headache, vomiting, dizziness, sleepiness, and tightness in the chest.  Atmos is urging people who experience the symptoms to call 911 and to cease using natural gas appliances until they can be inspected by a technician.

Atmos suggests you have a technician inspect your natural gas appliances in your home once a year.  Also, install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, make sure flues and chimneys are clean and unobstructed with proper ventilation, and never idle a car in a garage that is attached to a home.