Story Summary

Most Shocking

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 9 updates
Salvador Martinez

Salvador Martinez

EDGEWOOD, N.M. – A New Mexico man is accused of stabbing a puppy to death, then marinating its remains in the freezer.

The man’s ex-girlfriend told authorities he talked about barbecuing one of her dogs before, but she always thought it was a joke.

“Nobody knows what to think. Nobody has ever heard of this before,” said Mandy Malone.

She told KOAT she is absolutely disgusted by what her ex-boyfriend is accused of doing.

“He said it before but jokingly, just out of the blue, ‘I’m going to barbecue one of your dogs,'” explained Malone.

This time it wasn’t a joke.

Police said Salvador Martinez stabbed one of Malone’s dogs in the heart, skinned it and cut up its meat.

Malone found the remains of her beloved Onyx at her Edgewood home in the freezer.

“He had her marinating in Italian dressing in the fridge!” Malone said.

It’s legal in New Mexico to eat dog, but police say the way Martinez killed Onyx — by stabbing her repeatedly with a screwdriver — is a crime.

“What could possibly go through someone’s mind to be able to do something that sick?” Malone questioned.

Martinez faces a charge of extreme cruelty to animals.

Malone said if Martinez ever gets out she’s not letting him near her other dogs and puppies.


Teen gets 232 “teeth” removed in Mumbai

(Credit: Courtesy J.J. Hospital)

(CNN) – A teenager in India, who had more than 200 “teeth” growing in his mouth due to a benign dental tumor, has had them removed.

Ashik Gavai, a 17-year-old student from Buldhana, underwent the six-hour operation, which involved four doctors at Mumbai’s J.J. Hospital on July 21.

The teen had 232 denticles — abnormal teeth-like growth — lodged in his mouth due to a complex composite odontoma, a benign dental tumor.

The abnormal teeth were embedded in the bone inside the lower right jaw and were not visible from outside the mouth. Surgeons say the surgery was “dangerous” and the patient’s jawbone will take three to four months to heal.

“It is very common for a person to have a (small) number of abnormal teeth, but this many is very rare,” said Dr. Sunanda Dhiware, head of the Department of Dentistry at J.J. Hospital. She adds that she knows of cases where 40 to 50 teeth were removed.

Gavai’s normal teeth are to remain in his mouth, although the doctors did help to remove a wisdom tooth.

The teen is currently recovering in the hospital and has been put on a liquid diet of mainly coconut water and milk.

According to Dr. Vandana Thoravade, head of the ENT department at J.J. Hospital, the operation could have cost as much as 250,000 rupees (about $4,000), which the Gavai family could not afford. The teen’s father is a farm laborer who earns 150-200 rupees ($2-3) a day.

The government’s Rajiv Gandhi Jeevandayee Arogya Yojana program — which supports low income patients — took care of the bill.

Gavai’s doctors said the denticles likely started to form when the patient was six years old, but Gavai did not notice the abnormal teeth until a month ago, when his mouth began to swell.

The village doctors near his home in Buldhana District, about 500 km from Mumbai, were unable to treat Gavai’s condition, and referred him to the Mumbai hospital.

Doctors say denticles are likely to grow again in Gavai’s mouth, but probably not in such a large number.

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

BRADENTON BEACH, Fla. —When a Florida woman noticed a couple really enjoying themselves on a public beach in front her grandchildren and other families, she pulled out her cell phone and recorded it as evidence.

Witnesses told FOX13 that the couple had sex on the beach for about 25 minutes, took a quick dip in the water, then returned to their towels for more.

That’s when a parent reportedly called police.

Authorities arrested and charged Jose “Benny” Caballero and Elissa Alvarez with lewd and lascivious behavior.

HOUSTON, Texas — In the frantic dash to the hospital this dad grabbed a GoPro and capture the whole experience. Admitting after the fact, that he really didn’t think she was that far along.

“I can’t make it! I can’t make it,” the woman said in between screams on the video.  Her husband tried to be calm and reassured her that they’re almost there.

Troy Dickerson got his wife to the hospital, but when he and a valet tried to get her to sit in a wheelchair — the baby was already on the way.

“She had gotten out of the car and she had just froze, like stood there. And me and the valet guy were like, ‘Sit down! Sit down in the wheelchair!’” Troy told KPRC.

Only seconds after getting out of the car and while still standing, Kristin delivered baby Truett in front of the hospital.

“I’m thrilled to have the footage,” Kristin told ABC News. “I’m more hesitant to send it to people, because it’s such an intimate moment for us, but as a birth educator, it’s really cool to let people see that our bodies know what to do.”

Kristin, who is a childbirth educator at the hospital, joked that she wouldn’t be sharing her experience with future students.



BATON ROUGE, La. (WAFB) - When an employee at Gino’s Restaurant in Baton Rouge cut into an eggplant Monday, he found “GOD.”

Chef Jermarcus Brady couldn’t believe what he was seeing. “I saw a miraculous image formed by the seeds,” Jermarcus Brady told WAFB. “It spelled out the word God!”

Chef Brady has many responsibilities, one being cutting, salting and sauteing eggplants.

“When you sliced into it, the pattern showed from the seeds that were forming in the inside the letters G-O-D as God,” said Brady. “I couldn’t think of anything. I just had to tell somebody to come look at it.”

Brady showed the eggplant to the owner of the restaurant and fellow coworkers and took photos, but he believed it was meant to be shared with everyone.

Brady says he is no stranger to life’s struggle, and his faith has gotten him through. He raised four kids on a limited income before becoming a chef. He says the significance of the rare eggplant seeds aren’t lost on him.

“Through the road, he’s showing me that ‘hey, I’m real’ and that’s the only thing I can depend on,” said Brady.

The restaurant’s co-owner, Gino Marino, has been in business for nearly 50 years and says with a find this rare, it is something he will never forget.

“You could cut one million eggplants and you’d probably never see that again, it’s that rare,” said Marino. “God is within us and he has different ways of showing it in our lives, and this is just one way of showing it.”

Whether it is divine intervention or not, it does not matter to Brady. “I don’t know what it means. All I know is it tells me ‘hey, he’s real’ and there’s nothing that can change my mind about that.”

Gino’s is an Italian restaurant near I-10 and College Drive in Baton Rouge.

ABC_obi_kelly_michael_after_jef_140624_4x3t_384It’s not unusual for a dog to weigh 50 pounds, but it is if the dog is a dachshund.

Two years ago, Obie the wiener dog weighed 77 pounds.  Today he tips the scales at 23 pounds.

On Tuesday, Obie’s owner Nora Vanatta stopped by “LIVE with Kelly and Michael,” to show off her dog’s incredible weight loss, that she contributes to mostly just diet changes.

“I think he ate only people food prior, and I put him on a specially-formulated doggy diet,” Vanatta told Michael Strahan and guest host Beth Behrs. “He wasn’t able to move much at all until he got down to about 35 pounds, so after eight months he was able to go for real walks.”

Read more about Obie’s journey HERE.


Lightning blows man out of shoes

Sean O’Connor is lucky to be alive after lightning went right through his foot, actually blowing him out of his shoes. (credit: WGCL)


Lightning blows man out of shoes

Sean O’Connor (credit: WGCL)

ATLANTA, Ga. (WGCL) – An Atlanta man is lucky to be alive after lightning went right through his foot, actually blowing him out of his shoes.

Sean O’Connor was getting ready to do some yard work Saturday after work. He said the sun was out, and he couldn’t see or hear any thunder or lightning.

“Just as I picked up the rake, I heard a loud crashing sound,” O’Connor told CBS46. “A few moments later I was picking myself up off the ground. I had the taste of blood in my mouth. I noticed my leg was burning a little bit.”

O’Connor was home alone. So, it took him a bit to realize what had just happened.

“My leg hairs were singed. I could smell the burnt hair,” he explained. “I looked across the driveway and I could see my boots over there. They were no longer on my feet, and one of them was smoking’. At that point I realized I had just been hit by lightning.”

O’Connor called his wife and shot cell phone video of the smoking boot and his bleeding tongue to prove to her he wasn’t kidding. He seems dazed in the video shot just moments after he came to.

She urged him to go to the emergency room right away.

“In my mind, I’d survived a lightning strike, and I didn’t think things could get any worse from there,” said O’Connor.

Because a lightning strike interrupts your own heart’s electrical system it caused O’Connor’s to beat irregularly. Doctors kept him overnight.

His kids think he’s pretty cool. And, while he’s taking the severity of it all in stride, he considers himself lucky.

“I’ve had a lot of friends comment and ask me if I can now bend spoons with my mind, which I don’t,” O’Connor said, smiling.

O’Connor said doctors pointed out to him that lightning doesn’t strike many people, about 1 in 700,000. And very few survive to tell the story like he did.


Wildfire wedding 2


BEND, Ore (KPTV) – An Oregon couple nearly had to put their wedding on hold when a Bend wildfire interrupted their ceremony.

The bride, April Wolber, said the Rock Springs Ranch just outside of Bend “just felt like the dream location.”

“It’s just kind of become our place,” she said.

April Wolber and her husband Michael were getting ready for the biggest day of their lives.

But as the ceremony start time neared, the Two Bulls wildfire was growing nearby.

“All of my bridesmaids did a really good job keeping me calm and didn’t even tell me about the fire until about 30 minutes before the wedding,” April Wolber said.

The bridesmaids and groomsmen were in place, and Michael Wolber was waiting for his bride, but she wasn’t walking down the aisle.

“That’s when the fire truck comes up with the sirens going,” April Wolber said.

“I’d call it an all-time low. It was announced that were going to be evacuated,” Michael Wolber said.

The fire was too close and the wedding was canceled.

“To get to that final minute before it was going to happen and have everything feel like it was going to fall apart. It was a pretty crazy reality to be in,” Michael Wolber said.

The couple’s parents pleaded to firefighters to let them do a quick ceremony.

“My heart was sinking,” Michael Wolber said. “I remember looking at the pastor, saying ‘Liz, I have to marry April today and I have to marry her here.'”

It looked hopeless, but then firefighters changed their mind.

“We got to hear the ranch manager Kelly come down, waving her arms saying, ‘We can do it. We can do the ceremony!'” Michael Wolber said.

The couple performed their ceremony in half the time. After a quick kiss, it was off to the backup reception location in Bend’s Drake Park.

The couple’s photographer snapped an incredible photo, which has now gone viral, getting thousands of likes and shares on Facebook and Twitter.

“The fire changed the plans of our day and completely changed the course of what we thought our wedding was going to look like,” Michael Wolber said. “It was really neat to see us, and him especially, be able to turn it into a positive.”

It was a wedding better than a movie script and a story to tell for the rest of the lives.

“We wouldn’t change a single thing about the way yesterday went off,” Michael Wolber said

VERNON, Texas (KETK) – A man and his wife were killed in a tragic accident near Dallas when the couple collided head-on in separate vehicles.

According to Department of Public Safety Trooper Jymie Ha, on Wednesday around 9:55 a.m., Kristina Muniz, 26, was driving a car north on County Road 87, an unlined road, and crashed into a truck driven by her husband, Nicolas Cruz, 31, at the crest of a hill.

At 10:19 a.m., Justice of the Peace Gene Morton pronounced the Chillicothe, Texas, couple dead at the scene.

Authorities believed speed and the layout of the road could be contributing factors of the crash, but the investigation is ongoing.

Trooper Ha said the couple was recently married, and both worked at the nearby Mahard Egg Farm in Prosper.