Story Summary

Bourbon Street Shooting

Bourbon St. Shooting Leaves 9 People Injured

Ten people were injured when a man started shooting on Bourbon Street early Sunday morning in the French Quarter.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 9 updates

Alleged Bourbon Street shooter Trung Le was indicted by a grand jury, but only faces two charges in the June shooting that injured nine people and killed one.  Le is charged with manslaughter and attempted murder.  District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro says prosecutors had to decide which charges they could prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

 

 

Trung Le

Trung Le’s mugshot taken July 12.

NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - The one and only person arrested for the mass shooting on Bourbon Street last month appeared in court Wednesday. By his side a new lawyer, defense attorney Martin Regan.

Trung Le’s family hired Regan earlier this week.

On Wednesday, Regan had asked the judge to broad subpoena authority to secure surveillance video related to the shooting, which killed one person and injured nine others.

Judge Harry Cantrell denied that request.

The twenty-year old remains in jail on one count of first-degree murder and nine counts of attempted first-degree murder from the June 29th shooting spree.

His bond has been set at $4,500,000.

Le’s next court appearance is scheduled for August 26, 2014.

 

 

It’s been one week, since gunfire broke out on Bourbon Street killing 21-year old, Brittany Thomas, and wounding 9 others.

With Essence Fest in full swing and 4th of July tourists in town, Bourbon Street is busy and so are police.

Visitors to New Orleans feel said they feel safe a week after the shootings.

“We’re not going to let something like that stop us from coming.  We know we will be safe.  You can’t live in fear.  You must keep moving and pray that everything will be okay,”  Mary Williams from Arkansas, said.

Safety is the name of the game.  NOPD definitely beefed up security with officers on every corner.

“Without seeing the security there, I probably wouldn’t want to stay long, but seeing them everywhere makes me feel comfortable,”  Chaundra Miller said.

Visitors also feel a little more peace of mind knowing that on Friday the NOPD arrested Trung T. Le.  Officers believe he’s the suspect who fired the first shot.  Le’s now being charged with 9 counts of attempted first degree murder and 1 count of first degree murder.

“I think it shows advancement with the New Orleans Police that they were able to find him so quickly,”  Lasaun Turner said.

 

 

NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - Police say the man who fired the first shot Sunday on Bourbon Street is in custody.

The  New Orleans Police Department’s Violent Offender Warrant Squad and the U.S. Marshal’s arrested 20-year-old Trung T. Le (also known as “Joe”) in Mississippi Friday about two hours after authorities publicly identified him as a suspect.

“So that it’s perfectly clear he has been arrested on first degree murder and nine counts of attempted first degree murder,” NOPD Superintendent Ronal Serpas told reporters less than 30 minutes after Le’s arrest.

Le is the only suspect identified in the case.

Chief Ronal Serpas says a search is underway for the second shooter. “We’re absolutely looking for him, and we still need assistance in identifying him,” he said at Friday’s news conference.

Nine bystanders were wounded and one woman died when police say two men exchanged gunfire early Sunday morning in the 700 block of Bourbon Street before fleeing the scene.

Serpas says the second gunman may have headed towards Esplanade then Rampart after the shooting.  He’s asking everyone who lives along, or in the vicinity of those streets, to check their security cameras.

Justin Odom

Justin Odom

This week, homicide detectives interviewed three persons of interest.   They identified one as Justin Odom.

Odom turned himself over to police Wednesday, hours after he was publicly identified.  Surveillance video shows Odom running down Royal Street Sunday, minutes after the shooting.

Odom was released and faces no charges in connection with the Bourbon Street attack.  But police say he is known to hangout with the suspect, Le.

Thursday evening the mayor’s office released several photos of two men they believed had critical information about the shooting.  Both were questioned and cleared of having any connection to the shooting, although one was booked on unrelated charges.

“Our Eighth District and Homicide Detectives have worked around the clock since this shooting incident took place and I am confident we will bring all of the perpetrators in this case to justice. I am thankful to local, state and regional law enforcement agencies that have assisted the NOPD and to the community for the numerous Crimestoppers tips we have received,” Serpas said.

Anyone knowing information about the shooting can call CRIMESTOPPERS at 822-1111 or toll-free 1-877-903-STOP.  If you recorded any video of the shooting scene Sunday morning or have video on your home security camera that you think might help with the investigation, you can email it to the NOPD at NOPDtips@Nola.gov.

 

NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - As the Essence crowd and other Fourth of July revelers made their way down Bourbon Street early Thursday evening, New Orleans police walked from business to business to hand out brochures with safety tips and other crime fighting information.

The move comes as tourists begin to settle in for the holiday weekend and settle down from the shock of last Sunday’s shooting on Bourbon Street that left one person dead and hurt nine others.

“The first time I heard about it, I was like, you know what? I don’t know if I want to go.  But I figure, on the positive side, that it’s going to beef up security,” said one woman from the Dallas area.

Police also released a series of photos that show two men who are considered persons of interest, not suspects, in the case.  The images are from low-light cameras.  Click on the video button above to see the photos.

Earlier in the day, police announced that they spoke with the first person of interest in the case, Justin Odom.  According to a department spokesperson, detectives are, “…still investigating what his involvement may be.”

Following the shootings, Mayor Mitch Landrieu  said the state should dedicate 100 state troopers to New Orleans on a permanent basis.  Thursday afternoon, Governor Jindal announced 50 troopers would be assigned to the city through Labor Day.

None of the persons of interest has been named a suspect in the case, and police have yet to make any arrests.  If you know anything about the Bourbon Street shooting last Sunday morning, call CrimeStoppers at 504-822-1111.

Updated:

Police are no longer looking for the two men pictured above. Late Thursday night New Orleans detectives interviewed the person of interest in the baseball cap and short hair. He was booked for outstanding warrants. At this time authorities will not release his name due to the complexity of the investigation.

The man with the dreadlocks is no longer considered a person of interest, officer Frank Robertson said.

NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - New Orleans police are searching for two additional men they believe have critical information related to the mass shooting on Bourbon Street Sunday.

The mayor’s office released the above photos Thursday adding, “please keep in mind these individuals are not suspects. They are persons of interest who may have information which may assist detectives in this investigation.”

The photos were captured by a low light camera which changed the color of the men’s shirts, the mayor’s office said.

On Wednesday the first man identified by police as a person of interest turned himself over to authorities. After homicide detectives questioned 20-year-old Justin Odom he was processed and booked on unrelated traffic and shoplifting charges.  He was released less than 24-hours later due to jail overcrowding.

Anyone with information on the identity or whereabouts of theses two individuals should call NOPD Homicide Detectives at 504-658-5300 or anonymously at Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111.

Justin Odom

Justin Odom

(CNN) – Police have questioned a man in connection with a shooting in New Orleans’ French Quarter over the weekend.

Justin Odom was interviewed Wednesday by homicide detectives with his attorney present, New Orleans Police spokeswoman Officer Hilal Williams said.

The 20-year-old was arrested and booked on unrelated traffic and shoplifting charges by Gretna police. According to a Thursday news release from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office, he “completed his booking procedures and will be released due to jail overcrowding today.”

Gretna is a town of nearly 18,000 people located just across the Mississippi River from New Orleans.

Police had requested the public’s assistance in locating Odom and are still looking for another person in the case.

Brittany Thomas

Brittany Thomas

A 21-year-old woman has died of her wounds from the early Sunday morning shooting, NOPD Officer Garry Flot said Wednesday.

“Our deepest thoughts and sympathies are with the family of Brittany Thomas,” New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said. “This type of tragedy strikes at the heart of who we are as a people and as a city.”

The woman was among 10 people shot on Bourbon Street about 2:45 a.m. Sunday.

Three people remain hospitalized, all in stable condition, NOPD public information officer Frank Robertson III said Wednesday.

New Orleans Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas has said the shooting may have happened because of a heated exchange between two young men.

The 700 block of Bourbon Street, where the shooting occurred, is a popular gathering place for tourists and revelers, where many of them pack bars and clubs between St. Peter and St. Ann streets. Crowds often spill into the streets.

Landrieu has called for additional resources from the federal government and the state of Louisiana to combat violence in the city.

He asked President Barack Obama to send a “targeted surge team” of federal law enforcement officers to help stem crime. He asked Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal to assign 100 state police officers to the city and rededicate a penny from the hotel/motel tax from the convention center to the city for public safety.

“These kinds of incidents will not go unanswered,” Landrieu said. “These perpetrators will be brought to justice.”

CNN’s Tina Burnside contributed to this report.

The-CNN-Wire
™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Justin Odom

Justin Odom

Update: Justin Odom was booked and processed on charges unrelated to the mass shooting on Bourbon Street where he was named as a person of interest Wednesday. Due to jail overcrowding authorities say Odom will be released Thursday.

NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - One of two persons of interest in a mass shooting on Bourbon Street Sunday has turned himself into police, authorities said.

Justin Odom walked into the Gretna Police station Wednesday afternoon with his attorney.  Following an interview with New Orleans Police homicide detectives Odom was arrested and booked on unrelated traffic and shoplifting warrants in Jefferson Parish.

Police are still looking for information on the second person of interest. He is a white man named either “Josh” or “Joe” who is known to hangout with Odom.

Anyone knowing the identity of the second person of interest can call CRIMESTOPPERS at 822-1111 or toll-free 1-877-903-STOP.

 

 

Amy

Amy Matthews posted the above selfie to her Facebook Wednesday morning.

NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - A 21-year old Australian woman shot on Bourbon Street Sunday told her tale to a hometown news station. Amy Matthews was one of six out-of-towners injured when a man began shooting into a crowd. In total ten people were injured.

Matthews told Perth News she was leaving Bourbon Street after a night out with her best friend when she heard gunshots.

“I just thought maybe I was hit by someone running pass. When we got to the second corner I actually realized my mouth was filling with blood,” Matthews said. “Then I realized I had been shot through the face.”

Matthews told the news station a bullet hit the right side of her face, shattered most of her teeth, fractured her jaw, cut her tongue, then went out the left side of her month.  She currently has about 30 stitches in her tongue and will need extensive plastic surgery.

But Matthews feels incredibly lucky. She told the reporter, “four centimeters higher or lower and I probably would not be speaking to you right now.”

Matthews was discharged from the hospital Wednesday morning, and she will fly back to Australia with her mother.

Matthews was in the United States on a five-week vacation celebrating her graduation.

Interestingly, Matthews graduating thesis was on the ‘American gun culture.’ Speaking with more expertise she told Perth News she doubts anything will change.

“Americans support guns and they don’t want them ban or to become illegal, but I think it’s a tough decision… I doubt ten people being shot on the street in New Orleans is going to change much.”

Advertisement