This story has 9 updates
“We had just eaten lunch and we were walking back,” remembers 24-year-old Whitney Kleinert, “It was me, my best friends, and my husband. We were standing at this store looking in the store window and we all just felt like boom!”
Kleinert knew something was wrong when she felt the ground shake. At the time she was just two blocks away from deadly explosions in downtown Boston.
“Oh my God, I mean, it’s horrific. You can see it on people’s faces like when you’re walking back you could just see it,” says Kleinert, “We were just standing where when you look on the news and you see the blood and the flags. Oh my God we were under those flags.”
Whitney took pictures near the finish line and walked away just minutes before the blast. Tonight she’s safe, but she says the city is scarred.
“It’s just like a lull. The city is in a lull.”
(CNN) — Three people died and scores more were wounded in the two bomb blasts that erupted near the finish line of Monday’s Boston Marathon, Boston police said.
Of the 152 patients treated in area hospitals, at least 17 were in critical condition and 25 in serious condition. At least eight of the wounded are children.
– Authorities searched an apartment late Monday in the town of Revere, northeast of Boston, and removed items, but would not say how the search might be linked to the investigation.
– The initial search found nothing related to the bombing, a law enforcement official said Tuesday.
– The search took place with consent, so no search warrant was needed, a federal law enforcement official told CNN.
– “The situation remains fluid, and it remains too early to establish the cause and motivation,” the FBI’s Boston Division said in a statement asking people to call in with any information, images or details related to the explosions.
– An 8-year-old boy was one of the fatalities, a state law enforcement source said. He has been identified as Martin Richard, The Boston Globe reported.
– The boy was at the event to watch his father race, CNN affiliate WHDH reported. His mother suffered brain injuries in the blast and his sister lost a leg, the station said.
– Eight of the 29 patients at Massachusetts General Hospital were in critical condition late Monday, trauma surgeon Peter Fagenholz said. The most serious wounds “have been combined, complex lower injuries that involve blood vessels, bone and tissue,” and several underwent amputations, he said.
– The bombings resulted in at least 10 amputations and left doctors picking ball bearings out of victims in the emergency room, a terrorism expert briefed on the investigation said.
– President Barack Obama said Monday he ordered the “full resources” of the federal government to respond to the bombings, and called for increased security around the United States as necessary.
– The FBI has taken over the investigation’s lead role, said Richard DesLauriers, the special agent in charge of the bureau’s Boston office.
– Any event with multiple explosive devices “is clearly an act of terror and will be approached as an act of terror,” a White House official said. “However, we don’t yet know who carried out this attack, and a thorough investigation will have to determine whether it was planned and carried out by a terrorist group, foreign or domestic.”
– The Pakistani Taliban was not involved in the double bombing, spokesman Ihsanullah Ihsan said Wednesday.
– Federal law enforcement has been placed on “level one mobilization,” U.S. government sources said. “That’s equivalent to all hands on deck,” one official said. A senior federal official told CNN that teams were on standby to search flights leaving the United States; no team had been activated.
– Investigators have warned police to be on the lookout for a “darker-skinned or black male” with a possible foreign accent in connection with Monday’s bombings, according to a law enforcement advisory obtained by CNN. The man, seen with a black backpack and sweatshirt, was trying to enter a restricted area about five minutes before the first explosion, the notice says.
– The U.S. Navy has provided a three-person explosive ordnance disposal team based out of Naval Station Newport, Rhode Island, to assist Massachusetts authorities, a Navy official said.
– One unexploded device was found at a hotel on Boylston Street near the bomb site and another unexploded device was found at an undisclosed location, said Rep. Bill Keating, D-Massachusetts. Keating, a member of the House Homeland Security Committee, called Monday’s incident a “sophisticated, coordinated, planned attack.”
– Bomb-sniffing dogs were working the area of the bombings and nearby streets, checking “every construction cone, every Port-A-Jon” to make sure there were no explosive devices left, WHDH-TV in Boston reported.
– AT&T said Monday evening that it had set up a mobile calling center and phone charging station in the Sheraton Hotel. “In addition, our Wi-Fi network, turned up for the Boston Marathon, is now available to customers of all wireless carriers and will remain on for an extended period of time.”
– Some of the wounded were treated in medical tents that had been erected near the finish line to treat exhausted runners. Others were taken to nearby hospitals. — In addition to the patients treated at Massachusetts General, 21 patients were treated at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center; 20 at Boston Medical Center; 12 at Tufts Medical Center; 31 at Brigham and Women’s Hospital; four at Carney Hospital; 18 at St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center; and one at Newton-Wellesley Hospital.
– The eight patients at Boston Children’s Hospital were in good to serious condition Monday night. They include:
A 9-year-old girl with leg trauma who underwent surgery;
A 42-year-old parent of a patient is being treated;
A 7-year-old boy who is being treated for a minor leg injury;
A 12-year-old with a femur fracture;
A 2 year-old-boy with a head injury who has been admitted to the Medical/Surgical ICU;
Three other patients in good condition were treated in the emergency department.
– The American Red Cross sent 100 additional blood products to area hospitals, Red Cross spokeswoman Anne Marie Borrego said.
– Google’s Crisis Response team created a “Person Finder” tool to help marathon runners, their families and friends, and spectators keep track of each other and share information, Google spokeswoman Susan Cadrecha said. The web address is http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions.
– All off-duty Boston police officers were called in to help with the response to the attack, Massachusetts Emergency Management said. Additional security measures were being taken throughout the city, including at Boston’s Logan Airport, MEMA spokesman Peter Judge said. The airport remained open, with additional security procedures in place.
– More than 400 Massachusetts National Guard troops had already been on duty, assigned to help local police keep the route clear for runners.
– The FAA placed a temporary flight restriction over an area in Boston at the request of law enforcement. The TFR was initially a three-nautical mile radius from the site and extended from the surface to a height of 3,000 feet. The FAA then reduced the radius to two miles. The FAA put a ground stop in place briefly to change the runway configuration at Logan Airport, but lifted it later.
– A third explosion, at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library, was determined to have been caused by a mechanical problem, Police Commissioner Ed Davis said. JFK School of Government at Harvard University in Cambridge — miles from the library in the Dorchester section of Boston — was evacuated.
– Boston’s Mandarin Oriental hotel was evacuated as a precaution ordered by Boston police, spokeswoman Molly Kinsella said.
– “This is a horrific day in Boston,” Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said. “My thoughts and prayers are with those who have been injured.”
– Obama was briefed by homeland security adviser Lisa Monaco and other members of his senior White House staff in the Oval Office. The president called Mayor Thomas M. Menino and Gov. Patrick to express his concern for those who were wounded and to make clear that his administration is ready to provide needed support as they respond to the incident.
– Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano “has been notified of the incident in Boston,” an administration official said. “At her direction, DHS is in contact with state and local authorities and will provide whatever assistance is necessary in the investigation and response.”
– The Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency activated a Red Cross website to help people who might have been near the explosions but were unable to make a phone call check in with friends and family.
– Metropolitan Police in Washington were at a heightened level of security, according to D.C. police Public Affairs Specialist Saray Leon.
– Officials in other cities, including London, Miami, Chicago, New York and Los Angeles, said they were monitoring events and stepping up security.
– London Met Police Chief Superintendent Julia Pendry said: “A security plan is in place for the London Marathon. We will be reviewing our security arrangements in partnership with London Marathon.”
– The Boston Bruins’ home game against Ottawa was canceled for Monday night, with no makeup date determined, the Nation Hockey League said.
– A number of professional sports teams held moments of silence Monday night.
– The U.S. House of Representatives stopped debate at 5:09 p.m. to observe a moment of silence on the House floor.
– Saudi Ambassador to the United States Adel bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir condemned the bombings. “What occurred today in Boston is a heinous crime which contradicts the values of humanity,” he said.
In all, nearly fifty people from the New Orleans area registered to run the Boston Marathon.
Among them were two husband and wife teams.
By Monday afternoon New York Pizza assistant manager Tierney Brinkman had yet to hear from owners Susan and Wayne Del Corral, In Boston running the marathon, “It`s absolutely devastating. Cell phone traffic is going mad right now. They`re wonderful people and I’m sure we`ll hear from them soon.”
Since the explosions, Brinkman says an outpouring of concern has overwhelmed the Magazine Street pizzeria, “Family and friends and vendors and different people have been calling.
Pointing to a picture she says the Del Corral’s traveled to the Boston Marathon with two other close friends, “That`s Cathy mossy and her husband Joe Mossy, the owner of Mossy Motors. They`re all there.”
“Joe Mossy was ten minutes from the finish line, him and his wife,” says the GM at Mossy Motors Royal Kraft Jr. “We did hear from his daughter in law and his son. She called to say everything is fine. They`re fine.
Until that phone call, Kraft says workers at the car dealership were waiting on pins and needles, “They didn`t make it to that finish line yet. Fortunately he was slow. They re-routed them before they got to the area where the explosion happened.”
Kraft says the last time Joe Mossy tried to run a marathon super storm Sandy intervened, “The sad part about it, he went to the New York marathon and they cancelled it.”
By the time this story aired Brinkman says she got word the Del Corral’s are safe and sound.
Latest reports indicate all fifty Boston Marathon runners from New Orleans are accounted for.
Hilary Landry hoped to run in this year’s Boston Marathon. In fact, she knew exactly how to get her husband and kids excited about the trip.
“I was planning on surprising my kids with a trip to Boston.”
While Landry is an avid runner who loves marathons, she has another race on her hands right now — a race for a judge position. Earlier this month, when Landry found out she’d been forced into a runoff election, the Boston plans were quickly dropped so she could stay home and campaign.
Monday afternoon, Landry was working with the Girls on the Run program at Academy of the Sacred Heart, Uptown. Landry works with girls at the school to encourage them to run. Before they left for the day, Landry huddled up with the girls and told them to be ready to hear about the terrible attack in Boston. But she also told them to stick with their running programs.
“It [running] only makes you happy. It only makes you healthy. You can do it with your girlfriends. It makes you look better, feel better, sleep better.”
Landry says perhaps it was fate that she missed the running race for the political one. But she adds– she was thinking more of her friends, fellow runners, who made the trip to Boston. She was relieved to know they were all safe and accounted for.
“Everybody shows up at the race thinking they’re safe. They’re worried about their legs going out, not a bomb going off.”
Landry also expects the bombing attack to lead to changes in security at future races. But she doesn’t think it will change the resolve of runners to compete in marathons.
“It’s going to take a lot more than two bombs to slow us down,” she said.
(CNN) — The number of wounded treated at Boston hospitals after Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings has risen to 132, including 17 in critical condition, hospital officials said. Two people died in the terror attack, including an 8-year-old boy, a state law enforcement source said.
The explosions, near the marathon’s finish line, triggered widespread screaming and chaos, shattered windows and barricades and sent smoke billowing into the air at Copley Square.
They were about 50 to 100 yards apart, officials said.
“It felt like a huge cannon,” a witness told CNN about one of the blasts.
Photos from the scene showed people being carried away on stretchers. One man in a wheelchair had blood all over his face and legs.
Authorities in Boston found at least one other explosive device that they were dismantling, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said.
Davis said a third blast at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library was believed to be related to the marathon bombings, but police later said that incident was believed to be fire-related. The library said all staff and visitors are safe.
It was unclear who may have planted the marathon bombs. There were no credible threats before the race, a state government official said.
The Marriott hotel at Copley Place was evacuated as a precaution.
The Lenox Hotel was also evacuated as a precaution, the Boston Globe reported.
Massachusetts General Hospital said it was treating 22 injured people, six of them in critical condition. Tufts Medical Center reported that it was treating nine people. Brigham and Women’s Hospital said it received between 18 and 20 injured. Combined, that brings the number of injured to as many as 51. There are many other hospitals in the Boston area.
The full number of casualties was not immediately known, Davis said.
Crowds were in the area watching the runners.
“This is a horrific day in Boston,” Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said in a statement.
“My thoughts and prayers are with those who have been injured. I have been in touch with the president, Mayor (Thomas) Menino and our public safety leaders. Our focus is on making sure that the area around Copley Square is safe and secured. I am asking everyone to stay away from Copley Square and let the first responders do their jobs.”
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder spoke with FBI Director Robert Mueller and U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz, a Justice Department official said.
Holder has directed the full resources of the Justice Department to be deployed to ensure the matter is fully investigated, the official said.
The Federal Aviation Administration placed a flight restriction over the site of the blasts.
Other cities, including New York and Washington, tightened security as a result. Following standard protocol, the White House cleared out an area in front of the West Wing.
“If you see something, say something,” Mark Boughton, mayor of Danbury, Connecticut, wrote on Twitter. “All cities will be on a heightened state of alertness per Homeland Security protocols.”
Mike Baingon, who works at the Atlantic Fish Company in Boston, said an explosion took place in front of the restaurant and that he was right by the front door at the time.
The explosions occurred at about 2:45 p.m., more than two hours after the first of the race’s nearly 27,000 runners had crossed the finish line, CNN Producer Matt Frucci reported.
The race was halted as was subway service into the area.
Runners east of Massachusetts Avenue were directed to Boston Common; those west of Massachusetts Avenue were directed to Kenmore Square, the state’s emergency management agency said.
Troops from the Massachusetts National Guard were assisting police as well.
“The Baton Rouge and New Orleans-area runners participating in today’s Boston Marathon as part of the Varsity Sports Running Team are safe this afternoon and were not among those injured or killed in the two unexplained explosions that occurred in downtown Boston shortly before 3 p.m. near the finish line of the race.”
To view the full article, click here: http://businessreport.com/daily-report/PM/4152013/Baton_Rouge_and_New_Orleans_teams_safe_following_Boston_Marathon_explosions