Let’s be honest – there’s a lot worse things in many of our diets than chewing gum, whether it’s sugar-free or regular. But even if we’re chewing just two pieces a day, that’s more than 700 piece a year! So if chewing gum is a regular habit, it pays to think a bit about just what we’re chomping. In today’s Get the Skinny, we’re covering best + worst options of sugar-free and lower-sugar chewing gum!
- Ingredients include xylitol, gum base, peppermint oil, vegetable glycerin (humectant), gum Arabic (texturizer), non-GMO soy lecithin (emulsifier), calcium carbonate and carnauba wax (glazing agent).
- Per piece: 1.7 calories – 0.7 grams carb – 0 sugar
- Ingredients include xylitol, gum base (chicle, calcium carbonate, candelilla wax, dehydrated citrus peels), gum arabic, glycerin, citric acid, natural flavors, sunflower lecithin, resinous glaze, beeswax, carnauba wax, natural fruit and vegetable juices for color.
- Per piece: 3 calories – 1 grams carb – 1 g sugar
- Ingredients include natural chicle base, organic raw cane sugar, organic vegetable glycerin, organic rice flour, all natural flavor.
- Per piece: 3 calories – 1 g carbs – 1 g sugar
- Ingredients include xylitol, gum base, gum Arabic, glycerol, carnauba wax, tocopherols, white tea extract
- Per piece: 5 calories – 1 g carbs – 0 g sugar
Extra Sugar Free
- Ingredients include sorbitol, gum base, glycerol, mannitol, natural and artificial flavors, less than 2% of: hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, soy lecithin, artificial sweeteners aspartame, acesulfame K, and sucralose; artificial colors [depends on flavor] including Red 40 Lake, Yellow 6, BHT (to maintain freshness).
- Per piece: 2 calories – 1 g carbs – 0 g sugar
- Ingredients include sorbitol, gum base, xylitol, glycerol, natural and artificial flavors, mannitol; less than 2%: soy lecithin, hydrogenated starch hydrolysate, artificial sweeteners aspartame, acesulfame K, and sucralose; artificial colors [depends on flavor] including Red 40 Lake, Yellow 6, BHT (freshness).
- Per piece: 5 calories- 1 g carbs- 0 g sugar
- Ingredients include sorbitol, gum base, natural flavors, magnesium iterate, artificial sweeteners aspartame, acesulfame-k, sucralose, sodium bicarbonate, sodium pyrophosphate, artificial colors including Blue #1
- Per piece: <5 calories - <1 g carbs- 0 g sugar
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD