NOPD arrests suspect in Bourbon Street mass shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Jordan Clay, one of two suspects in Bourbon Street mass shooting

NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) – The NOPD has arrested a suspect in last week’s mass shooting on Bourbon Street that left one man dead and nine other victims wounded.

NOPD homicide detectives teamed up with the FBI Violent Crimes Task Force, Lafayette Police Department, ATF and Louisiana State Police to arrest Jordan Clay for second degree murder, NOPD spokesman Tyler Gamble said.

Clay is being held in St. Martin Parish and will be extradited to New Orleans.

The NOPD is still looking for a second suspect in the shooting as the investigation continues to unfold, Gamble said.

The arrest tops off a violent week in the New Orleans area that began when shots rang out in the 100 block of Bourbon Street just before 1:30 a.m. on Sunday, November 27. Ten victims – two women and eight men – were shot. Their ages range from 20-37 years old, NOPD Chief Michael Harrison said. One of the men died from his injuries at a nearby hospital.

The victim has been identified as 25 year-old Demontris Toliver, a tattoo artist from Baton Rouge. None of the 10 people shot was the intended target of the shooter, Harrison said.

He said police believe two people were in an altercation that prompted the shooting. The two suspects have not been identified and are not in custody.

There was heavy police presence in the area because of Bayou Classic weekend, Harrison said. About 30 police officers were on the block when the shooting happened. Officers heard the shots and arrested two people at the scene for possession of illegal firearms.

One of the shooting victims was in possession of a firearm, Harrison said.

Stay tuned to WGNO for more information as more information becomes available.