NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - One person was killed and nine others were injured in an overnight shooting on Bourbon Street.
NOPD Chief Michael Harrison said shots rang out in the 100 block of Bourbon Street just before 1:30 a.m. Sunday. Ten victims - two women and eight men - were shot. Their ages range from 20-37 years old, Harrison said. One of the men died from his injuries at a nearby hospital.
The victim has been identified as 25 year-old Demontris Toliver, a tattoo artist from Baton Rouge. None of the 10 people shot was the intended target of the shooter, Harrison said.
Harrison said five of the victims have been released from the hospital. Four are still being treated, but they're expected to make a full recovery.
He said police believe two people were in an altercation that prompted the shooting. The two suspects have not been identified and are not in custody.
There was heavy police presence in the area because of Bayou Classic weekend, Harrison said. About 30 police officers were on the block when the shooting happened. Officers heard the shots and arrested two people at the scene for possession of illegal firearms.
One of the shooting victims was in possession of a firearm, Harrison said.
The shooting happened despite heightened security measures, Harrison said, including a large police presence and additional lighting along Bourbon Street.
"This is a very tragic and unacceptable set of circumstances," said New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu, who stood alongside Harrison during the press conference.
NOPD is looking for witnesses to the shooting. Harrison asked that if you heard the shooting or have any information on the shooting, call Crime Stoppers at 504-837-8477.
This is the second consecutive year that someone has been shot and killed on Bourbon Street during Bayou Classic weekend, which draws massive crowds people to the city for the annual Grambling v. Southern football game at the Superdome. There are four days of events surrounding the big game.
Last year, 26-year-old Brandon Robinson was shot in the abdomen after an altercation in the 300 block of Bourbon Street and died later at a local hospital.
This is the second time in two-and-a-half years that a mass shooting has happened on Bourbon Street. In 2014, 21-year-old Brittany Thomas was killed and nine others were injured when a gunman opened fire on Bourbon Street. Trung Le was convicted of starting that gunfight in 2014. He was sentenced this year to 60 years in prison.