Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon first cold pressed olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked
- 1 cup white hominy
- 1 cut fresh serrano pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into ½ inch squares.
In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, and serrano pepper in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
Stir in corn, hominy, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt to taste!