Hummus is perceived as a good-for-you snack, but if we’re not careful, it can quickly pack in a hefty dose of carbs and calories. Today we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on her top picks and worst bets for this popular little chickpea snack!
- Traditional hummus: chickpeas (garbanzo beans), oil, tahini (ground sesame), salt, seasonings.
- 70 calories per serving, with 8-10 servings per tub – translating to 560-700 calories per container
Unless otherwise indicated, nutrition facts are for a standard two-tablespoon serving. And think beyond pita chips: Use hummus for a sandwich spread in place of mayo, and use fresh veggies for dipping to save calories + carbs and add nutritional boost!
Engine 2 Hummus and Whole Foods Market’s Low Fat Hummus
- 25 calories – 40-100 mg sodium – 3-4 grams carb – 1 gram fiber – 1 gram sugar – 1 gram protein
- Ingredients: Simply chickpeas + seasonings, no oil
- Nearly 2/3 fewer calories than traditional hummus
Trader Joe’s Beet Hummus
- 45 calories – 100 mg sodium – 4 grams carb – 1 gram fiber – 2 grams sugar – 1 gram protein
- Ingredients: Garbanzo beans, beets, beet juice, tahini, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, spearmint…
- 1/3 fewer calories than traditional hummus
- 40 calories – 160 mg sodium – 3 grams carb – 1 gram fiber – 1 gram sugar – 1 gram protein
- Ingredient: organic garbanzo beans, jalapenos, extra virgin olive oil, tahini, sea salt, spices, lime, cilantro
- 40 % fewer calories than traditional hummus
Traditional-style Hummus like Sabra, Cedar’s, or locally-owned Nur’s Kitchen:
- 60-70 calories – 100-130 mg sodium – 3-4 grams carb – 1 gram fiber – 1 gram sugar – 1-2 grams protein
- Ingredients include traditional ingredients of chickpeas, oil, tahini, salt, seasonings
- 50 calories – 90 mg sodium – 5 grams carb – 2 grams fiber – 2 grams sugar – 2 grams protein
- Made with white beans or black beans instead of chickpeas, with add-ins like carrots
- Slightly fewer calories, but still the similar protein + fiber, plus additional vitamin A in Carrot Hummus
- 240 calories – 400 mg sodium – 18 grams carb – 6 grams fiber – 3 grams sugar – 13 grams protein
- Ingredients include Hummus [Cooked Garbanzo Beans, Water, Sesame Tahini, Lemon Juice, Soybean Oil and/or Canola Oil, Olive Oil..]; Cooked Chicken [Chicken Breast, Natural Potato Starch, Seasoning, Potassium Chloride (salt substitute)].
- 320 calories – 840 mg sodium – 40 grams carb – 5 grams fiber – 1 gram sugar – 10 grams protein
- Paired with pretzels (white flour)
- The labels are somewhat sneaky, with the nutrition facts printed around the seam of container + nutrition facts of hummus and pretzels are listed separately
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD