NOLA’s been buzzing over the new Trader Joe’s in Metairie – and if you’ve stopped by in the past week, you know it’s been insane! If you’re not sure just where to start, we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on her 5 top finds at Trader Joe's that are both unique + nutritious!
- With garbanzo beans and diced beets, Beet Hummus has 1/3 fewer calories than traditional hummus.
- Serve with fresh veggies or grilled chicken for dipping. Use it as a spread on a sandwich or a wrap.
- Ingredients include: Garbanzo beans, beets, beet juice, tahini, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, spearmint
- Per 2 tablespoons: 45 calories – 100 mg sodium – 4 grams carb – 1 gram fiber – 2 grams sugar – 1 gram protein
Goat Cheese Medallions
- Goat cheese is one of the lower-sodium cheeses, but portion control is a common downfall for this spreadable creamy treat, so we love the built-in portion control of these individually-wrapped medallions.
- Per serving: 70 calories – 3.5 grams sat fat – 60 mg sodium – 1 gram carb – 0 fiber – 0 sugar – 5 grams protein
- With the beet hummus & goat cheese, you’ll need something for dipping and spreading…. try these crunchy little jicama sticks for a change from the usual carrots and celery sticks.
- Per 7 sticks: 30 calories – 0 fat – 0 sodium – 7 grams carb – 4 grams fiber – 2 grams sugar - <1 gram protein
Riced Cauliflower: “Nothing but Cauliflower”
- Cup-for-cup, riced cauliflower has about 80% fewer carbs than cooked rice: Check out Hungry Girl’s recipe ideas for Trader Joe’s Riced Cauliflower!
- Per 2/3 cup: 25 calories – 25 mg sodium – 4 grams carb – 2 grams fiber – 2 grams sugar – 2 grams protein
- Marinated Grilled Eggplant, Zucchini, and Red Peppers: This is a super-easy side dish for dinner, or add it to your favorite salad or serve it up with a party platter of grilled veggies.
- Ingredients: Eggplant, zucchini, red peppers, sunflower oil, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, white wine vinegar, parsley, oregano, garlic, sugar, black pepper.
- Per serving (4 servings per bag): 90 calories – 8 grams fat – 270 mg sodium – 5 grams carb – 2 grams fiber – 3 grams sugar – 1 gram protein
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Ochsner Eat Fit Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD