Valentine’s Day is Sunday, which of course means all things chocolate! But even when it comes to just dark chocolate, there can be a wide variation in sugar and health benefits. So in today’s Love it, Like it, Hate it, we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on which types of dark chocolate are packed with nutrients, and which varieties are really just dark-ER milk chocolate!
- Local NOLA-owned company
- Available in: salty bark, spicy bark, pop rock bark, nutty bark, trail mix bark, and pistachio/rose petal bark.
- At least 70-77% cocoa
- Per ounce: 150 cals, 11-15 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 6-10 grams sugar
- Ingredients include cocoa liquor, sugar, cocoa butter…
- Per ounce: approximately 150-170 cals, 11-15 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 6-10 grams sugar
- Molly’s favorite: Theo’s Organic Fair Trade CHILI 70% Dark Chocolate
- 62% cocoa
- Per ounce: Approximately 155 calories, 15 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 11 grams sugar
- Ingredients include dark chocolate, uncured bacon, sugar, sea salt
- 55% cocoa, Stevia sweetened – no added sugar.
- Per ounce: Approx. 130 cals, 15 grams carbs, 8.5 grams fiber, <1 gram sugar
- Ingredients include: unsweetened chocolate, inulin, erythritol, stevia…
- 60% cocoa
- Nutrition info per piece: 41 cals, 4.5 grams carbs, 0.5 grams fiber, 3.5 grams sugar
- Ingredients: sugar, cocoa butter, milkfat, soy
- 40 % cocoa | Ingredients: semisweet chocolate, sugar, cornstarch
Russel Stover Sugar Free Dark Chocolate (as well as Dark Chocolate Hershey Kisses, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, etc)
- 5% cocoa
- Per ounce: approximately 150 calories, 16 grams carbs, 0 sugar, 14 grams sugar alcohols,
- Ingredients include maltitol, chocolate, cocoa butter, milk fat, soy lecithin, sucralose
- Label states that “excessive consumption may cause a laxative effect”
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD