If you make homemade pies, but prefer a pre-made pie crust, you may have noticed a few more options on shelves, some whole grain, some gluten free. But can we really believe the marketing? In today’s Get the Skinny, Molly has the top picks and worst bets, plus what to look for on labels.
- Per 1/8 of crust: 110 cals – 8 grams fat – 4 grams sat fat – 9 grams carbs – 2 grams fiber
- Ingredients: whole wheat flour, organic palm oil, water, organic cane sugar, sea salt.
- Per 1/8 of crust: 95 cals – 5 grams fat – 2 grams sat fat – 12 grams carbs – 0 fiber
- Ingredients: Brown rice flour, palm fruit oil, evaporated cane syrup, tapioca starch, potato starch…
- Per shell: 80 cals – 0 fat – 0 sat fat – 17 grams carbs – 0 fiber
- They’re essentially just white pastry crust, but they offer built-in portion control
- Per shell: 15 cals – 0.5 gram fat – 0 sat fat – 2 grams carbs – 0 fiber
- Just white phyllo dough, but only 15 calories & 2 grams carb each, perfect for bite-sized portion control
Mrs. Smith’s Deep Dish Pie Crust
- Per 1/8 of crust: 130 cals – 8 grams fat – 3.5 grams sat fat – 14 grams carbs – 0 fiber
- Ingredients: wheat flour (translation: white flour), palm oil, water, sugar, soybean oil.
Pillsbury Pet-Ritz Deep Dish Pie Crust
- Per 1/8 of crust: 90 cals – 5 grams fat – 2 grams sat fat – 11 grams carbs – 0 fiber
- Ingredients: Enriched wheat flour (translation: white flour), partially hydrogenated lard with BHA and BHT, sugar… plus contains yellow 5, yellow 6.
Want more from Molly? Click here to sign up for Nutrition Bites, her weekly e-newsletter with links to her Get the Skinny TV segments here on WGNO, and her weekly column in NOLA.com|The Times-Picayune! And you can follow Molly on Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram: @MollyKimballRD