Even a small-ish slice of king cake has more than 300 sugary calories, many of us have trouble keeping those slices ‘moderate’. So if king cake is one of your weaknesses during Carnival season, we’ve got 4 ways to help satisfy your cravings for a fraction of the calories, each available from locally-owned New Orleans companies!
- Eat Fit NOLA-approved. Paleo. Gluten-Free. Low Sugar.
- Per serving (16 servings per cake): 120 calories, 11 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 6 grams sugar (less than teaspoon added sugar)
- Ingredients include bananas, eggs, coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut flour, stevia, small amount maple syrup, sprinkles made with all-natural colors
Breads On Oak Original King Cake
- Dairy-Free. Low sugar.
- Per serving (12-14 servings per cake): 160 calories, 22 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 5 grams sugar (less than teaspoon added sugar)
- Ingredients include white and whole grain flour, canola oil, unsweetened almond milk, Earth Balance
- Per macaron: 65 cals, 13 grams carbs, 5.5 grams sugar
- Per cup: 8 cals, 0 carbs, 0 sugar
- Available iced or hot in-store, or brew at home
- Also available: King Cake Latte with Sugar Free Syrup
- Starting Friday 1/23: King Cake single-cup Keurig coffees
- Per 1.5 ounces: 100 cals, 0 carbs, 0 sugar
- Mix with no-sugar mixer like water or club soda to keep serving size in check
- Let’s be clear, we’re not saying it’s ‘good’ for you, but it does have just 100 calories per serving. And keep in mind that ‘moderate’ intake is not more than one drink a day for women; two for men