Deputies Investigating Plaquemines Parish’s Second Possible Accidental Drowning in the Past Three Days

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


Shawn Alexander Meladine (4)cortez.jpg

Shawn Meladine                                Edward Cortez


Saturday, at approximately 1:15 a.m., the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff’s Office said it received a 911 call of a man who had been found unresponsive in a swimming pool at a residence in the 200 block of Burmaster Street in Belle Chasse.

The reporting person advised the PPSO that CPR had been initiated.

Upon the arrival of 1st District Patrol deputies, it was discovered that 21-year-old Shawn Meladine, a resident at the home, was found in the pool by partygoers.

Approximately 15-20 friends had gathered at the location earlier in the day for a party celebrating the 4th of July holiday.

Investigators learned that after midnight, a couple of patrons went for a swim and did not observe anyone else in the pool when they exited.

Sometime later, a friend noticed Meladine’s lifeless body on the surface of the water.

Meladine was pulled from the pool and CPR was started.

Plaquemines Parish EMS arrived on the scene approximately 8 minutes later and continued to administer CPR.

Meladine was transported to a West Bank Hospital where attempts to revive him were unsuccessful.

No signs of trauma were noted to Meladine’s body.

Later Saturday morning, an autopsy was performed by the Jefferson Parish Coroner’s Office to determine the official cause and manner of death.

The results of the autopsy are pending toxicology tests.

Meladine’s death appears to be Plaquemines Parish’s second tragic accidental drowning death in the past three days.

On July 3rd, the body of 57-year-old Edward Cortez, also of Belle Chasse, was recovered from the Hero Canal by the Sheriff’s Office Marine Division.

Cortez went missing on the evening of July 2nd after a day of boating.

Results of Cortez’s autopsy, which was conducted Saturday morning, are also pending toxicology testing.