NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) – As the Essence crowd and other Fourth of July revelers made their way down Bourbon Street early Thursday evening, New Orleans police walked from business to business to hand out brochures with safety tips and other crime fighting information.
The move comes as tourists begin to settle in for the holiday weekend and settle down from the shock of last Sunday’s shooting on Bourbon Street that left one person dead and hurt nine others.
“The first time I heard about it, I was like, you know what? I don’t know if I want to go. But I figure, on the positive side, that it’s going to beef up security,” said one woman from the Dallas area.
Police also released a series of photos that show two men who are considered persons of interest, not suspects, in the case. The images are from low-light cameras. Click on the video button above to see the photos.
Earlier in the day, police announced that they spoke with the first person of interest in the case, Justin Odom. According to a department spokesperson, detectives are, “…still investigating what his involvement may be.”
Following the shootings, Mayor Mitch Landrieu said the state should dedicate 100 state troopers to New Orleans on a permanent basis. Thursday afternoon, Governor Jindal announced 50 troopers would be assigned to the city through Labor Day.
None of the persons of interest has been named a suspect in the case, and police have yet to make any arrests. If you know anything about the Bourbon Street shooting last Sunday morning, call CrimeStoppers at 504-822-1111.