NOPD: “Person of Interest” in Bourbon Street Shooting
NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) - NOPD detectives are hoping you could help them identify and locate the man they are calling a “Person of Interest” in the Bourbon Street shooting. So far the number of injured has risen to 10.
Roughly 15 rounds fired on Bourbon Street sends crowds running. Footage from EarthCam captures the horror and the screams.
Now police are asking for the public’s help identifying a “Person of Interest.” The man was caught by cameras off Bourbon Street.
Marcelle Courtois who works as a cocktail waitress at Spirits on Bourbon says, “Two of our bouncers went to see what happened and they didn’t see all the victims. They did see one on the ground receiving CPR, one holding something on her face, and another one on the ground.”
Police say in all ten people were shot, six women and four men, ranging in age from 17 to 39.
Video from inside Tropical Isle captures one of the victims as she falls to the ground. At last check five are still in the hospital. A 21-year-old woman is in critical condition while the rest are listed in stable condition. Police say four victims have been released and the tenth victim, a 39-year-old man who met with police Sunday afternoon, refused medical care.
Courtois is one of the many who work on Bourbon and now worry tourists will stay away. This as the city prepares for a big holiday weekend. One that includes Essence Fest and the 4th of July.
“It’s going to scare tourists off. They’re not going to want to go somewhere where something like this could happen to innocent people,” says Courtois.
Shyamal Roy works at the Cigar Shoppe. He says, “Mess has been spread already. Everybody saw the news and everything, saw the paper, it’s all over TV, in YouTube; everywhere!”
At this point tourism officials say there have been no cancellations.
Joint Statement from President & CEO of the New Orleans CVB Stephen Perry and President & CEO of New Orleans Tourism Marketing Corporation Mark Romig:
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the shooting and for their speedy recovery. The NOPD officers are to be commended for responding quickly and effectively to the situation.
The tragedies of violence are impacting cities across our country, and while this is a crucial, challenging issue for our community, we are encouraged by the initiatives and priority Mayor Landrieu and his administration have given it. The leadership of our industry shares the Mayor’s commitment and focus. We are collaborating with the administration on the issue in general and the specific plans for security during the upcoming July 4th holiday and major gatherings in our city. We will continue to work closely with the City to protect the security and quality of life of the people who live and work in New Orleans, as well as those who visit.”
Essence executives say:
“Essence works closely with the City of New Orleans every year to ensure the safety of our Festival attendees. The New Orleans Police Department, along with the Louisiana State Police and other law enforcement agencies, will have an increased presence throughout the weekend and provide comprehensive security for festival goers. We are confident that the city is safe and prepared for the Festival.”
Statement from Mayor Landrieu and the City of New Orleans:
“Our number one priority is to keep New Orleans safe. These kinds of incidents will not go unanswered. NOPD was in the immediate vicinity at the time of the incident, and I am confident that between video evidence and eyewitness accounts, we will bring the perpetrators to justice. Our crime fighting efforts have brought murders in the city of New Orleans to a historic nearly 30-year low. But on days like today, the statistics don’t matter because every life is precious – from the 9th Ward to the French Quarter. We will not rest until every corner of this city is safe.”
Meanwhile, NOPD Chief Ronal Serpas says they’ve allocated $300,000 in overtime to increase their presence, and Louisiana State Police say they’ve tweaked their plan since the shooting to send close to 40 troopers to the city this holiday weekend.
Here is a breakdown of the victims who were injured during the Bourbon street incident:
Victim #1 21-year-old female who remains in the hospital in critical condition.
Victim #2 19-year-old female who remains in the hospital in stable condition.
Victim #3 18-year-old male who mains in the hospital in stable condition.
Victim #4 35-year-old male who remains in the hospital in stable condition.
Victim #5 21-year-old female who remains in the hospital in stable condition.
The following victims has been treated and released from the hospital:
Victim #6 22-year-old male.
Victim #7 22 year-old female.
Victim #8 17 year-old female.
Victim #9 20-year-old female.
Victim number 10 a 39-year-old male walked into the first district police station yesterday around 2:30pm, to report he had been shot on Bourbon Street earlier in the morning. Detectives observed a minor injury to the victim’s chest. This victim refused all medical treatment.
In total 6 females and 4 males were injured in the incident.
If you have any information that could help police call Crimestoppers at 822-1111