Update: On October 8, 2014, the Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office dropped stalking charges against Aaron Jordan.
NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) – The man trying to start a group that would protect French Quarter service-industry workers surrendered to police Thursday morning on a stalking charge.
On Wednesday, a warrant surfaced for Aaron Jordan’s arrest.
The 37-year-old Metairie man is accused of repeatedly harassing a woman who worked at the Municipal court and a judge.
Jordan’s recent appearances on TV promoting his group, the French Quarter Minutemen, may have led to the filing of the warrant.
According to the warrant when the victim found out Jordan was a gun advocate she became afraid for her and her family. The arrest warrant was filed May 30.
Jordan who first launch the group on Facebook has received a positive response from the public. So far the French Quarter Minutemen Facebook group has 713 likes.
Shortly before Jordan surrendered to authorities NOPD Superintendent Ronal Serpas issued his first comments about the group:
“The NOPD is the only law enforcement agency with the authority to patrol the city and our officers go through extensive firearms training before carrying a weapon. The best way for our residents and visitors to partner with the NOPD is to report crimes when they occur and to be willing to testify as a witness.”
This week, WGNO caught up with Jordan as he passed out flyers in the quarter informing people of the group’s mission. He told us he just wants to protect workers.
“All you have to do is call it up and we will have one or two of our armed guards come out to wherever you work and escort you back to your car, your bus stop, or your streetcar stop,” Jordan said.
WGNO hit the streets to try and find residents against the group but we couldn’t find any. Watch the video HERE.