NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) – Many of us are always looking for quick fixes. WGNO News Anchor Vanessa Bolano breaks down the art of contouring. It’s arguably the hottest and most effective trends to slim down and sculpt your face with the help of a few colors and makeup brushes.
It’s the hottest makeup trend thanks to Kim Kardashian’s Instagram account, yet contouring can be mastered by anyone with 20 minutes to spare and the right tools.
Tia Howard is the lead makeup artist at Magnolia Makeup. Howard says, “It’s a skill that once you get it you can really kind of play with it and play with different shapes and kind of create things; make them look like they are there that aren’t.”
- First start with a clean, freshly primed face.
- Second, even your skin with a foundation that matches your skin tone.
- When highlighting use a color that is three shades lighter than your skin.
- Highlight by creating a triangle under your eyes, then highlight the center of your chin, the bridge of your nose, and the area in between your eyebrows.
“These are just places that light naturally hits, so you’re not putting something there that wouldn’t naturally be there. You are just exaggerating,” explains Howard.
- Blend the highlighted areas with a damp sponge.
- To contour you’ll need a color three shades darker than your complexion.
- Contour just outside the bridge of your nose, right under your bottom lip, around your hairline, and at the hollows of the cheeks.
“Very often when people, after they see their faces, it’s like it looks like I’ve lost 10 or 25 pounds. It just kind of creates the perfect sort of almond eye, and oval face that everybody is sort of striving for without actually going under the knife or anything,” says Howard.
- Complete the look by blending. Try dabbing with a sponge to soften any harsh lines.