Love It, Like It, Hate It: Tortilla Chips
Cinco de Mayo is next Monday, and for many, that mean celebrating with margaritas – and of course chips & salsa! And there’s a wide range of options on shelves, so today we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on some of the top picks and worst bets for store-bought tortilla chips!
Most tortilla chips are relatively low in saturated fat (and nearly all saturated fat is plant-based sat fat), with no hydrogenated oils.
Beanitos White Bean with Sea Salt
- Per 12-chip serving: 140 calories, 55 mg sodium, 6 grams fiber
- Added bonus of 4 grams protein per serving
- Ingredients: Whole navy beans, whole grain rice, pure sunflower and/or safflower oil, guar bean gum, sea salt.
El Milagro Mexican Kitchen Style
- Per 10-chip serving: 140 calories, 0 sodium, 2 grams fiber
- Ingredients: Stone Ground White Corn, Corn Oil, Trace of Lime
- One of the few tortilla chips on shelves with ZERO sodium
Garden of Eatin’ Blue Corn Tortilla Chips – “made with organic blue corn”
- Per 16-chip serving: 140 calories, 10 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber
- Ingredients: Organic blue corn, expeller pressed oleic safflower and/sunflower oil, sea salt
Baked Tostito Scoops
- Per 16-chip serving: 120 calories, 140 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber
- Ingredients: Whole corn, corn, vegetable oil, salt
- Lower-calorie because lower in fat (3 grams per serving, compared to 7 grams for most brands)
Tostito’s Artisan Recipe – Baked Three Cheese Queso
- Per 8-chip serving: 150 calories, 120 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber
- Name is misleading – they’re actually fried, not baked, so not low-calorie like baked
- Not gluten-free like most corn-based tortilla chips
- Ingredients: Corn, Vegetable Oil, Whole Corn, Corn Starch, Maltodextrin, Whole White Wheat, Whole Triticale, Whole Oats, Whole Rye, Whole Barley, Salt, Whole Millet, Whole Buckwheat… Whole Brown Rice…
On the Border Tortilla Chips
- Per 7-chip serving: 140 calories, 80 mg sodium, 2 grams fiber
- One of the highest calorie tortilla chips per serving
Ingredients: whole grain corn, vegetable oil (contains one or more of the following: canola oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, safflower oil and/or soybean oil) and sea salt.