NEW BERLIN, Wis. — They’re quick and easy, and if you’re around kids you know juice boxes are perfect for a family on the go. But one family in Wisconsin found more than just juice inside.
Suzanne Hogue told FOX6 that the juice she poured into her autistic son’s cup looked “normal.”
But everything wasn’t normal.
Suzanne found mold inside that juice box.
“It took up half of the juice box and at that point it was brown, black, green. I didn’t even know what I was looking at at first. I was so shocked when I opened it up. I had no idea what it was. It was so repulsive and it had an odor,” she told the TV station.
But Suzanne’s son is not the only victim.
Look on YouTube and you’ll find people all over the country complaining, and showing what they’ve found inside their drink boxes and pouches.
It really doesn’t matter the brand. The problem is the packaging.
Experts tell FOX6′s Contact 6 the mold can happen to any food product if it is exposed to air.
The Milwaukee Health Department says: “Other than for individuals with medically diagnosed mold hypersensitivity or allergies, mold ingestion via food products is typically not associated with severe health symptoms.”
The Centers for Disease Control, and Suzanne Hogue’s pediatrician told her to wait and see if her son got sick. He didn’t.
And most likely, you won’t either — but if you don’t want to be grossed out about what’s inside — experts advises smelling the drink first, and if you’re really concerned — cut the box or pouch open it.