Carrollton Attack Suspect in Custody: Officers Caught Him ‘In the Act’
NEW ORLEANS (WGNO) – A 21-year-old man, believed to have tied up and robbed three Tulane University students with USB cords a week ago, is behind bars after officers caught him in the act Wednesday evening in the Carrollton neighborhood. The additional man power was part of a pro-active patrol set up in the area to combat the recent spike in crime.
According to New Orleans Police Chief Ronal Serpas, detectives were called to the intersection of Lowerline and History streets around 6:30 p.m. for a possible burglary in progress.
“They were advised by the dispatcher that the caller heard a female screaming as an unknown black man forced his way in to the victim’s residents armed with a handgun,” Officer Garry Flot, a New Orleans Police Department spokesman said in a release.
Upon arriving officers entered the home to find the suspect in a bedroom with the victim. She told officers he had sexually assaulted her and afterwards demanded money, threatening to kill her.
The suspect has been identified as James Johnson.
Authorities believe Johnson and two other people committed the home invasion and aggravated burglary on three Tulane students last Friday.
“We now believe that he has admitted to his behavior in the case from last week, which is quite similar,” Serpas said at a press conference.
Johnson has been arrested three different times for armed robbery and is currently on probation for an attempted armed robbery until September 2014. He also has a simple robbery arrests and three past criminal trespassing charges.
“Hopefully this time these dangerous repeat offenders might be found to stay in jail, to stay in prison and to not be on the streets of New Orleans to hurt families of hard working people in our communities,” Serpas said Thursday.