NEW ORLEANS (WGNO)–Molly’s back for another round of Love it, Like it, Hate it! Today we’re looking at boxed macaroni and cheese.
Mixing up a box is quick and convenient, but there’s not a whole lot in the way of real nutrition. Fortunately, there are some options that are actually good for you.
Annie’s Whole Wheat Shells & Extra Cheesy Cheddar Sauce
- Made with 100% whole wheat pasta & real cheese
- More than 3x more fiber than regular boxed mac & cheese
- Nearly twice as much protein, for the same amount of carbs
Kraft Macaroni & Cheese – made with 50% whole grain
- Blend of whole wheat + white pasta; more than 2x fiber as regular boxed mac & cheese
Kraft Macaroni & Cheese + Kraft Easy Mac
- White pasta
- Powdered cheese sauce containing corn syrup solids, modified food starch + artificial food dyes
Velveeta Shells & Cheese with 2% Milk
- Made with white pasta
- 1,010 mg sodium per serving (compared to 650 mg for Annie’s & 590 mg for Kraft 50% whole grain)