Classic Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing, made with Swerve
Makes 3-4 dozen cookies
2 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
14 Tbsp butter, softened
1 cup Swerve, Granular
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
Sprinkle of flour
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and Swerve until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in flour mixture into butter mixture until dough begins to cling together. Shape into two discs, wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8 inch thickness and cut with cookie cutters. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and bake 11 to 12 minutes, or until just lightly browned
- Let cool on pan 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Decorate with Swerve Royal Icing (instructions below).
- Combine Swerve, corn starch, meringue powder, and water (adding drops food coloring to achieve desired color) and use immediately.
- Thin with added more water if necessary.
Per cookie: 70 calories, 4 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated fat, 45 mg sodium, 12 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fiber, 0 sugar, 1 gram protein.