Pretzels seem like lighter, healthier fare, but the reality is that most are simply white flour, sugar, oil and salt! There are a few better-for-you variations, though, so today we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on the best and worst of this seemingly healthy favorite!
- Organic & gluten-free, these crunchy, grainy pretzels are one of the only brands that are actually truly whole grain, with no refined white flours at all.
- Flavors include Sea Salt, Chipotle Tomato, & Curry
- Ingredients: Brown rice, quinoa, flaxseeds, sesame seeds, amaranth, millet, & chia seeds.
- One-ounce serving (15 rods): 150 cals, 21 grams carb, 4 grams fiber, 0 sugar, 4 grams protein
- Ingredients: Organic unbleached wheat flour (translation: white flour), yellow pea flour, gluten, organic sunflower oil, organic sugar, organic barley malt, yeast, and soda.
- One-ounce serving (22 pc) 120 cals, 22 grams carbs, 4 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar, 5 grams protein
Both of these brands at least include some whole grains.
- Ingredients for each include: enriched wheat flour (translation: white flour), whole wheat flour, sugar, honey, corn or canola oil, salt
- One-ounce serving (8 Rold Gold Sticks or 7 Snyder’s Sticks):
- 100-120 calories, 20-24 grams carbs, 1-2 gram fiber, 3-4 grams sugar, 3 grams protein
- These ‘Honey Wheat’ pretzels contain no whole wheat flour at all!
- Ingredients: Organic wheat flour (white flour), organic vegetable oil, organic honey, organic sugar, sea salt
- One-ounce serving (32 pieces): 100 cals, 20 grams carb, 1 fiber, 3 grams sugar, 3 grams protein
Gluten Free Pretzels (e.g. Snyder’s of Hanover)
- Ingredients: Corn starch, potato starch, tapioca starch, palm oil, dextrose,…
- One-ounce serving: 110 calories, 25 grams carbs, <1 gram fiber, 0 sugar, 0 protein
Up next: October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, so Molly has 5 key strategies that might help women reduce their risk of breast cancer