Parents beware: 3 most popular drugs on college campuses
- Marijuana produces a nearly threefold increase of inhaled tar compared with tobacco.
- Marijuana smokers inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer.
- Long-term, heavy use of marijuana can lead to impaired thinking skills and memory problems.
- Ecstasy is a man-made pill that has psychedelic and stimulant effects. Ecstasy is usually mixed with other drugs like caffeine, amphetamines. The pure form of ecstasy is called Molly. Very popular in college kids. Even singers are singing about Molly in their songs.
- Lasts 4-6 hours. Molly/ecstasy effects include muscle tension, teeth clenching, confusion, depression, anxiety, paranoid and sleeplessness.
- Big risk with Molly is dehydration so the body temperature gets too high and kids die or get heart and kidney damage. Molly also damages your brain so you cannot think and lose your memory.
- Adderall is another drug that has exploded on college campuses. It is known as the “study drug” because it keeps kids awake and helps them to focus on what they are studying. They also feel wired.
- Federal studies show as many as 1 in 3 college students frequently use easy to get Adderall to stay awake cramming for exams.
- Abuse of Adderall can lead to serious health issues like depression, anxiety and psychosis.
- Studies have also shown that college students who use Adderall without a valid prescription more often engaged in binge drinking and other drugs.
So parents pay attention. Look on our website for slang names that are being used for the various drugs so if you hear your child talk about Molly, you will be in the know.
Common slang names for common drugs used by college kids
Alcohol- booze, brews, sauce, hard stuff
Cocaine- Coke, snow, blow, white powder
Dextromethorphan (DXM)- dex, DM, red devils, robo, dexing, robotripping
Ecstasy- X, XTC, E, love drug, Molly
LSD- Acid, mellow yellow, Lucy in the sky with Diamonds
PCP- angel dust, rocket fuel, wack, embalming fluid, killer weed, ozone
Heroin- smack, thunder, H, junk, hell dust
Ketamine- Special k, Vitamin K, breakfast cereal, K, kat
Marijuana- THC, grass, pot, weed, A-bomb bud, Mary Jane, dope, ganga
Methamphetamines- speed, meth, crystal meth, chalk, ice, crystal, crank, uppers, black beauties
Prescription medications- Xbrs, Vic, Trail mix, smurf
Ritalin- kibbles and bits, pineapple
Rohypnol- Date rape drug, forget pill, R-2, roachies, roofies, roche