Love it, Like it, Hate it: Chicken Nuggets
Kids love them, and they’re fast & easy for parents to prepare, but chicken nuggets aren’t exactly what you’d call a health food. But there are some healthier options on shelves, so today we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on the best and worst of this popular kid favorite!
Earth’s Best BAKED Chicken Nuggets
- Main ingredients: chicken, battered with whole wheat flour blend
- Per 4 nuggets: 120 cals, 3 grams fat, 0 sat fat, 270 mg sodium, 10 carbs, 11 protein
Applegate Natural Chicken Nuggets & Strips
- Main ingredients: Chicken, Water, breaded with white flour & corn flour blend.
- Per 7 nuggets: 180 cals, 9 grams fat, 1.5 sat fat, 210 sodium, 12 grams carbs, 12 grams protein
- Per 3 strips: 170 cals, 8 grams fat, 1 sat fat, 350 mg sodium, 12 grams carbs, 12 grams protein
Ian’s Chicken Nuggets
- Main ingredients: chicken breast with rib meat, canola oil, potato flakes, water, sea salt. Coated with yellow corn flour, corn starch, baking powder, garlic powder, sea salt and breaded with cornflake crumbs.
- Per 5 nuggets: 210 cals, 10 grams fat, 1 sat fat, 250 sodium, 12 grams carbs, 12 grams protein
Tyson 100% Natural Chicken Nuggets
- Ingredients: Chicken, water, salt; breaded with whole wheat + white flour blend.
- Per 5 nuggets: 270 cals, 17 g fat, 4 grams sat fat, 470 sodium, 15 grams carbs, 14 grams protein.
MorningStar Farms Chik’n Nuggets
- First ingredients: textured vegetable protein (soy protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, wheat gluten…), enriched wheat flour, bleached wheat flour, corn oil, corn starch
- Per 4 nuggets: 190 cals, 9 grams fat, 1.5 sat fat, 600 mg sodium, 19 grams carbs, 12 grams protein