PB&J sandwiches have long been a lunchbox staple, but for those with a peanut allergy, it could cause a life-threatening reaction. With peanut allergies on the rise, many schools and child care facilities are going nut-free, which can pose big problems for parents who rely on peanut butter as one of their child’s main sources of protein. Fortunately there’s a variety of alternatives, so today we’re Getting the Skinny with Molly on the best and worst of nut-free, peanut-free alternatives.
Peanut vs. Nut Allergies:
- Peanuts technically aren’t a nut – they’re a legume.
- True nut allergies are tree nuts like cashews, almonds, pecans, walnuts, etc. And most of the time, people are only allergic to one type of nut, it’s not common to have cross-over between different types of nuts.
- Soy nuts, sunflower seeds, and hemp seeds are all nut-free peanut-free alternatives for spreads.
Peanut & Nut Allergies, By the Numbers:
- Peanut allergies are estimated to affect approximately 400,000 school-aged children in the US.
- Allergy to peanuts on the rise: Kids in the US with peanut allergy more than tripled between 1997 & 2008.
- An estimated 25-40 percent of people who have peanut allergy also are allergic to tree nuts.
- For more information: www.foodallergy.org
Hemp Seed Butter (e.g. Hippie Butter’s Hemp Seed Butter, or make own by blending hemp seeds)
145 calories, 9 grams fat, 7 grams carbs, 1 gram sugar, 11 grams protein
SunButter Organic: 220 cals, 20 grams fat, 5 grams carb, 2 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar, 6 grams protein
Ingredients: Roasted organic sunflower seeds
I’m Healthy Unsweetened SoyNut Butter: 190 cals, 15 g fat, 6 grams carbs, 5 grams fiber, 0 sugar, 8 grams protein
Ingredients: Soybeans, soybean oil, salt
WowButter. 200 cal, 15 grams fat, 8 grams carbs, 4 grams fiber, 4 grams sugar, 7 grams protein
Ingredients: Non-GMO soy, soy oil, cane sugar, palm oil, salt.
SunButter Natural Omega-3: 200 cals, 16 grams fat, 7 grams carb, 3 grams fiber, 4 grams sugar, 8 grams protein
Ingredients: Sunflower seed, flaxseed, cane syrup, salt.
NoNuts PeaButter: 180 calories, 14 grams fat, 12 grams carb, 2 grams fiber, 2 grams sugar, 4 grams protein
Ingredients: Peas, canola oil, icing sugar, palm oil
I’m Healthy Chocolate SoyNut Butter: 190 cals, 14 g fat, 12 g carbs, 3 grams fiber, 8 grams sugar, 6 grams protein
Ingredients: Soybeans, soybean oil, cane sugar, cocoa, palm oil