JPSO: Ahlittia North murder suspect is believed dangerous

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The following is a synopsis of the news conference held by the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office about the disappearance and murder of 6-year-old Ahlittia North from Harvey:

Matthew Flugence, 20, now wanted for first-degree murder of Ahlittia North and a sexual battery involving an 11-year-old. They do believe he is dangerous. Public should call 364-5300 if they see him.

His brother, Russell Flugence, 21, of Marrero, has been arrested and booked with obstruction of justice. Detectives believe he knew Matthew may be linked to North’s murder.

Sometime overnight Friday, 6-year-old Ahlittia North disappeared from her apartment in the 2900 block of Destrehan Avenue in Harvey while her family was sleeping.

On Saturday, detectives found a pool of blood and ammunition behind an apartment just footsteps from Ahlittia’s home. DNA testing showed the blood was Ahlittia’s.

Sheriff Newell Normand says it was odd that there was no blood trail.

Deputies searched garbage cans in the area Saturday and Sunday, and on Monday investigators expanded the search for Ahlittia into the Woodmere neighborhood.

ahlitta-north-692×384At around 1am Tuesday a JPSO investigator found the body of 6-year-old Ahlittia North in a garbage can that had been previously searched. Her body was under plywood, inside a garbage bag, wrapped in her blanket, and wearing the same clothes she was last photographed in.

Investigators say her body must have been dumped sometime between 7pm Sunday and Monday night.

JP coroner does not know a time of death, but says Ahlittia North suffered two aggressive stab wounds to the neck that most likely killed her. She also suffered two stab wounds to the abdomen and bruising throughout her body.

Sheriff says Matthew Flugence is the nephew of Ahlittia’s stepfather. He was often at their home babysitting. He has been seen in and around the crime scenes multiple times Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

At this time they are not sure if anyone else was involved in her murder and still have many unanswered questions.