Gluten free corn hot cakes
*** GLUTEN FREE / DAIRY FREE / EGG FREE VERSION ***
1 cup Cornmeal
1/2 cup Cornstarch
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
2 TB Sugar
1/2 cup Coconut milk
2 TB Apple cider vinegar -or- lemon juice
1/4 cup of Cooking oil (sunflower or grapeseed works well)
1/3 cup Water
1-2 TB Canola or Grapeseed oil for frying
(Alternate recipe: Omit 1/2 tsp Baking soda, add 2 eggs.)
* One cast iron skillet
* Spatula for flipping cakes
* One whisk for blending liquids
* Two bowls, one for wet ingredients, the second for dry
* One ice cream scooper -or- measuring cup for pour batter into skillet
* One plate for finished corn cakes
* Paper towels for draining
1) In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda (if using), kosher salt and sugar.
2) Measure coconut milk in a liquid measuring cup and stir in the apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Then add the water and oil; whisk together.
* ALTERNATE NOTE: This is where you’d add the eggs should you choose to use them. Add to the other liquid ingredients and mix well.
3) Heat skillet to medium to medium-high and once hot, add oil . Using the ice cream scooper, drop batter into the hot skillet to form small round little cakes.
4) As the cakes begin to cook, watch for drying sides and bubbles in the edges of the batter. When the edges and bottom are brown and crisp, use your spatula to turn and brown the other side. Remove and let drain on paper towels.
Ideas for this recipe:
Eat plain as a snack, top with butter and maple syrup or preserves, or even sauteed greens and a poached egg for a more elegantly presented breakfast. For a bit of a cultural twist, try topping with black beans, avocado and some grilled shrimp spiced with cilantro and onion for a light lunch or top with a mini-gator patty or pulled pork for a sassy southern party app.