Chef Nino Cooks Calcutta Chicken with Wild Rice and Mushrooms
6 skinless boneless chicken thighs
1 large red onion diced finely
Sal & Judy’s olive oil
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chopped ginger
1 Serrano or jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
In a mixing bowl, combine turmeric, red pepper, salt, and black pepper mix completely.
Add chicken thighs covering completely with dry spice mix. In a large skillet add 2 tablespoons olive oil, onions, garlic, ginger and Serrano or jalapeno. Sautee for 5 minutes stirring occasionally until onion begins to become translucent. Add chicken thighs and cook about 5-7 minutes on each side until there is no pink on inside.
WILD RICE AND MUSHROOMS
- 2 teaspoons butter or reduced fat buttery spread
- 6 mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook mushrooms, garlic and green onion until mushrooms are cooked and liquid has evaporated. Stir in chicken broth and rice. Season with parsley, salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes according to instructions on bag.