Love it, Like it, Hate it: Carrot Cake
Carrot cake may sound like a healthy sweet treat, but the reality is that some versions can pack in more than 1500 sugary calories, per slice! In today’s Love it, Like it, Hate it, we’re getting the Skinny with Molly on the best and worst options when it comes to carrot cake, and carrot cake swaps!
Per VitaTop: 100 calories, 28 grams carbs, 9 grams sugar, 9 grams fiber, 4 grams protein
- Whole wheat flour, egg whites, and carrots are at the top of ingredient list (before sugar), then oat bran & wheat bran.
- No white flour, and is also sweetened with zero-calorie plant-based sweeteners.
Carrot Cake Luna Bar
Per bar: 180 calories, 28 grams carbs, 3 grams fiber, 13 grams sugar, 8 grams protein
- Soy protein, toasted oats, and flaxmeal are the first ingredients, followed by brown rice syrup, cane syrup, and palm kernel oil, then more of the good stuff like walnuts and raisins.
- Although 13 grams of (mostly added) sugar is on the high side, it’s actually pretty low for a carrot cake swap-out, plus it also had 8 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber.
Carrot Raisin Flax Muffins by Flax 4 Life
Per muffin: 300 calories, 44 grams carbs, 24 grams sugar, 10 grams fiber, 8 grams protein
- Ground flax seeds & egg whites are the first two ingredients, followed by evaporated cane juice, though at least the next ingredients are oats, carrots, and raisins.
- No white flour; oats are the only grain used.
- But 24 grams of sugar, most of it added sugar, is more than most people need, even if it is in a flax muffin.
Outback Steakhouse Carrot Cake
Per slice: 641 calories, 89 grams carbs, 70 grams sugar, 2 grams fiber, 5 grams protein
But this pales in comparison to the Cheesecake Factory’s Carrot Cake, with 1550 calorie and 183 grams of carbs!