Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to be tried as a civilian

(CNN) – The surviving suspect in last week’s Boston Marathon bombings, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, “will not be treated as an enemy combatant” but rather will be prosecuted “through our civilian system of justice,” White House spokesman Jay Carney said today. “Under U.S. law, United States citizens cannot be tried in military commissions,” he said.

Massachusetts State Police Release Images of Suspect in Boat

Massachusetts State Police release images of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokar Tsarnaev hiding in the boat in a backyard of Watertown on April 19, 2013.

“The suspect made an initial appearance in the hospital room in front of a federal magistrate judge,” Circuit Executive Gary Wente tells CNN. The complaint is under seal, Wente said. This initial appearance does not constitute an arraignment.

A moment of silence will be observed at 2:50 p.m. ET today, exactly a week after the twin explosions near the marathon’s finish line that killed three and injured more than 170 others.