Get the Skinny: Protein Drinks and Powders
We love buying local, so nutritionist Molly Kimball tells us about 3 new options for protein drinks and powders, all from locally owned companies!
ICONIC Protein Drink: www.drinkiconic.com
Molly worked with New Orleans-based entrepreneurs Billy Bosch and Matt Mouras to develop a formula for a grab & go ready-to-drink protein drink, and here it is. (By the way, she makes no money on the sales of this product!)
- 130 calories, 20 grams protein, 11 grams carb, 3 grams sugar
- A day’s worth of vitamin D, plus B6, B12, and other vitamins/minerals
- Electrolyte rich: 250 mg calcium, 380 mg potassium
- Green tea extract and choline to help enhance energy and focus, and aid in fat metabolism
- All-natural, zero artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors (sweetened with monkfruit and stevia)
Drink it as a stand-alone breakfast or snack, add a shot of coffee concentrate to make a protein-rich iced mocha. Pair it with fresh fruit for an afternoon snack or post-workout recovery snack.
BQuick FUEL Performance Protein Blend: www.bquicknutrition.com
Add-ins like fiber, flaxseed, and digestive enzymes, along with antioxidant-rich maca root, beet, and acai powders make BQuick FUEL stand out from other low-sugar protein powders.
- Two-scoop serving: 155 calories, 25 grams protein, 11 grams carb, < 1 gram sugar
- Electrolyte rich: 500 mg calcium & 500 mg potassium, plus 2,000 mg glutamine per serving
- All-natural, zero artificial sweeteners, colors, or flavors (sweetened with Swerve Sweetener & stevia)
Blend into a protein shake, add it to baked goods, or dissolve it in a couple of ounces of milk or water and pour over cereal or stir into a bowl of oatmeal. A nutrient-dense option for those looking to add a boost of low-sugar protein to a variety of foods and drinks.
4D 4th Quarter Blend: www.4DSupplements.com
Already used in several NCAA Division 1 football programs, including Tulane, as well as John Curtis, Brother Martin, and other area high schools.
- One-scoop serving: 190 calories, 13 grams protein, 32 grams carb, 28 grams sugar
- 100% of ~20 vitamins & minerals
- Electrolyte-rich: 500 mg calcium, 450 mg potassium, along with bromelain & aloe vera to aid in digestion
A great option for athletes looking for a higher-carb, electrolyte-rich protein powder to help with pre-event fueling and post-workout recovery.