Food for Thought

Does an engagement ring need to have a diamond?

You’ve heard the song “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend,” but are they really?

Each year, more couples looking to tie the knot are choosing less traditional engagement rings.  Instead of a diamond, they’re going for gems and styles that reflect their personal taste.

By the way, a diamond ring wasn’t always the go-to rock of choice. That trend started back in the 1940s when De Beers started their “diamonds are forever” ad campaign to boost sales.

Our Food for Thought question: Does an engagement ring need to have a diamond?

25 Comments to “Does an engagement ring need to have a diamond?”

charles818 said:
    December 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM

It doesn't have to have a diamond, but it would be nice being the actual wedding band is usually just a gold band.

Jon said:
    December 22, 2012 at 10:58 AM

It doesn't need to have a diamond, but I think that is one trend that won't be leaving anytime soon!!

Brendan said:
    December 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Other gemstones like emerald and sapphire are gaining increasing popularity among new couples. These are the true, meaningful age-old gems that'll never die.
    Diamonds on the other hand may be more connected with material modern life, greed and conflict than everlasting love!

ellissi said:
    December 25, 2012 at 3:29 AM

liz said:
    December 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I don't really care for diamonds, they look like glass. I like my birthstone (sapphire)better and I feel is a better reflection of myself. It is also my favorite color. In fact, i had a very beautiful sapphire engagement ring.

Rox - DRC Engagement said:
    January 22, 2013 at 4:00 AM

Although it seems to be a popular favorite, I do not believe an engagement ring had to have a diamond on it. Personally, I would love a sapphire on my engagement ring hehe. Where my family is from (Guinea Bissau), blue is the colour of love.

1791diamonds said:
    February 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Obviously…. Without diamond engagement rings are not much likely as precious. It's very much attractive amongst women. I think Sapphire diamond and solitaire diamonds are most perfect for new couple.

Rings Online said:
    February 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM

No I don't think that an engagement has to have diamond in it.

FabienAupry said:
    March 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I just came onto your post and found it quite interesting. I am also associated with Wedding Rings,Diamond Rings, Engagement Rings, and love to enjoy the stuff on the same as its rarely found on internet. Thanks again for writing such a good post.

faith quotes said:
    March 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM

The second reason that some people say they aren't interested in poetry is that their idea of poetry

Josephine said:
    March 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM

engagement ring does not mean that it s diamond.. For as long as it is ring then you don't need to worry about it..
    Thanks,
    cheap wedding videography

mens discount suits said:
    March 14, 2013 at 2:04 AM

As for me a diamond engagement ring is not the way how you describe you love to a person. its only a material thing that makes her happy but not a lifetime.

quotes about love said:
    March 20, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I have to say that the information here was the most complete that I found anywhere. It is very fascinating, You’re a very professional blogger. I can’t wait to read more from you.

cheap diamond ring said:
    March 21, 2013 at 6:10 AM

In my opinion I can say that yes there is a lots of importance to have diamond in your an engagement ring indeed. Actually it is a lifetime gift from some one to his darling, so it will be published loves and affection forever like a symbol of their love. So obviously it should be expensive ring as your engagement ring. That's all……

best quotes said:
    March 25, 2013 at 3:16 AM

Pretty good post. I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post !

check here said:
    April 9, 2013 at 6:23 AM

Many of want our engagement ring to be very specila and beautiful. We mostly prefer valuable stones or materials to make the ring. This is because we want to preserve it as a very valuable gift for ever and ever.

Tension set rings said:
    April 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

True to say, I want diamond rings in my engagement because it gives me more pleasure. Besides this, I've already watched your video that is really outstanding. Thanks for good head up :lol:

Gold Panning said:
    April 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I don't see why engagement rings must have a diamond. There are several other beautiful gem settings that cost less and are easier to acquire. I do think that gold is a requirement as far as the band however.

Engagement Rings said:
    April 23, 2013 at 4:34 AM

Wedding bands are usually fairly plain so I think a sparkling engagement ring is fitting :) I guess it doesn't have to have a diamond, but I think tradition holds true for a good reason this time!

calvin kelton said:
    May 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM

david said:
    May 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Jon is true..It is trend But i think diamonds are all time favorite for all women..

white hat SEO said:
    May 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Wedding groups are usually fairly simply so I think a dazzling band is suitable :) I think it doesn't have to have a precious stone, but I think custom applies for reasonable this time

jhon said:
    June 22, 2013 at 4:17 AM

I think a sparkling engagement ring is fitting :) I guess it doesn’t have to have a diamond.

Jess Jarvis said:
    June 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Yeah its true diamonds are being appreciated by every lady and liked also. but no one should have such kind of lavishness to spent a lot of money so a poor feels bad. https://www.apsense.com/article/adelaide-moving-b

العاب 250 said:
    March 24, 2014 at 3:42 AM

I am really impressed with your writing talents as neatly as with the layout to your weblog.