News

Carbon Monoxide Concerns Accompany Cold Weather

monoxide

With this week’s cold weather, many people may be firing up their heaters for the first time this season.  Atmos Energy is warning people to take precautions to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that comes from heaters, dryers, gas ovens, fireplaces, and car engines.  Extended exposure to the gas can be deadly.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often flu-like and can include headache, vomiting, dizziness, sleepiness, and tightness in the chest.  Atmos is urging people who experience the symptoms to call 911 and to cease using natural gas appliances until they can be inspected by a technician.

Atmos suggests you have a technician inspect your natural gas appliances in your home once a year.  Also, install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, make sure flues and chimneys are clean and unobstructed with proper ventilation, and never idle a car in a garage that is attached to a home.

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement